8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2016 3:53 PM by Swarby

Real time RAM preview still broken in OS X CC2015, V 13.7.0.124

jeff-7117 Level 1

Like the title says, real time RAM preview in the latest version of After Effects CC2015 does not work.  Extremely heavy comps will not play real time.  If it does manage to play at the set frame rate, I still get a noticeable "strobe" in the comp during playback.  If I hide the timeline, or drag the timeline down to the bottom of the screen where the RED CTI LINE is NOT displayed, it plays back perfectly.  THIS IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE LONG TERM WORKAROUND FOR PRODUCTION WORK.

Fortunately CC2014 still works perfectly.

System Specs:

Mac Pro 5,1

OSX 10.11.3

CC 2015 V 13.7.0.124

• 1. Re: Real time RAM preview still broken in OS X CC2015, V 13.7.0.124
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

jeff-7117 wrote:

THIS IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE LONG TERM WORKAROUND FOR PRODUCTION WORK.

I agree. This is one of the big reasons why I haven't updated beyond Mavericks.

Please, everyone with this issue, file bug reports. And, if you've filed before, file it again under this new version number.

If there's a huge volume of bug reports (which are officially tracked - forums posts aren't), Adobe will be more likely to put some more resources to getting After Effects fixed!

• 2. Re: Real time RAM preview still broken in OS X CC2015, V 13.7.0.124
            jeff-7117 Level 1

Some people can't go back to Mavericks because their computer is pre-installed with OS X 10.11.

Having to file a bug report fix a basic core function of a companies flagship and ONLY motion graphics program is a slap in the face to most of us that have been using this program since the pre 4.0 days.

Why have a forum for interaction if we can't bring up issues?  What's the threshold for bug reports before it gets their attention?  Bug reports are and should be for things that did not get caught before products are relased to the public.  Most of us are frustrated because it feels like this was a major oversight on the part of Adobe.  It should have been brought up and noted before CC2015 was declared "ready for El Capitan"

• 3. Re: Real time RAM preview still broken in OS X CC2015, V 13.7.0.124

I agree with all of what you say. Playback is a basic thing. We shouldn't have to hide the timeline to get realtime feedback! It's insanity.

The forum interaction is for users to help other users. We can see if we're the only ones with an issue or if it's a known issue. We can share workarounds (like pressing ` to toggle the comp panel to be fullscreen thus hiding the timeline).

The reason I suggested the bug reports was that it's the best way I know to get Adobe's attention. The After Effects team is really small (like, shockingly small). I'm thinking that if they get hundreds of bug reports, they can go to Adobe and be, like, "THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE; GIVE US MORE PEOPLE." Knowing what I know about corporate types, Adobe HQ won't budge unless they have something tangible to move on. Does that make sense?

• 4. Re: Real time RAM preview still broken in OS X CC2015, V 13.7.0.124
                jeff-7117 Level 1

I understand where you are coming from.

Without having first hand knowledge of the numbers of the OS X vs PC user base, I can only assume that we are in the minority.  If you take that into account, the numbers are probably even smaller for those of us running 10.11.  That's got to be a small number of bug reports filed on a weekly basis about this specific problem. 

If Adobe is counting bug reports only, filed by users of OS X 10.11 about this specific issue, then we could be in for a long wait.

Communication is really the key here.  Coming out in front of this problem would have helped alleviate the immense frustration that most users have with this issue.  I don't think anyone is asking for a miracle.  We just want to know if they can fix it.

Because they haven't said anything about it, most are frustrated and getting angry, which is why the last forum thread had over 120 replies. 

They have to know it's broken.  We know it's broken, yet we have to tell them it's broken so they can fix it.

Really a bad way to keep your customer base happy.  

• 5. Re: Real time RAM preview still broken in OS X CC2015, V 13.7.0.124

I know it doesn't really help for now, but Adobe's Tim K replying to another thread about the issue said,

Tim Kurkoski wrote:

To address the remaining bugs with audio and video playback in After Effects CC 2015, we (the After Effects team) are currently working on a significant change to how After Effects sends frames to screen and audio to speakers, which we intend to release in an update later this year. Thanks for your patience while we work on these issues.

So that's good news on one hand (it's being worked on), but an unspecified amount of time to wait is never fun.

• 6. Re: Real time RAM preview still broken in OS X CC2015, V 13.7.0.124

Todd Kopriva has spoken up as well!

Todd Kopriva wrote:

We've been working with Apple on the main issue preventing real-time playback on Mac OSX v10.11, and we have a good understanding of the problem. Apple made a change to an API for drawing items to the screen in Mac OSX v10.11 (El Capitan). That change, coupled with some drawing changes for the Timeline panel that we made in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5), causes the entire Timeline panel to be redrawn each time that only a subset of the Timeline panel should be redrawn (e.g., when the preview time indicator moves, the whole panel is being redrawn to the screen instead of just the part that has changed).

As others have mentioned on this thread, current workarounds include hiding the Timeline panel or changing the view of the Timeline panel to not include the preview time indicator.

The fix for this issue is targeted at our next update.

"Next update" is pretty good news.

• 7. Re: Real time RAM preview still broken in OS X CC2015, V 13.7.0.124
                      Swarby Level 1

I'm having this issue on Windows 10 64bit, AE v13.7.0.124.  But I only just started getting it today, with no problems in the past 2 weeks of being on v13.7.  I must have past a certain threshold of complexity in my comp that's causing it.  If I restart AE, my first Preview will playback fine in realtime.  But subsequent attempts, even if I don't change anything after the first playing will playback at progressively lower framerates on each attempt.  Only restarting fixes it, but only for 1 attempt then problem starts again.  Restarting the computer, purging cache, toggling "Cache Before Playback" have no effect.

Are there any workarounds for Windows 10?  I tried docking a panel underneath my timeline, previewing in fullscreen or tilda maximized and nothing fixes it.  Right now my only solution is to render out a movie file.

My computer specs:

Windows 10 64bit

AE v13.7.0.124

32 GB Ram

Intel Core i7 5960X

Nvidia GTX Titan X

• 8. Re: Real time RAM preview still broken in OS X CC2015, V 13.7.0.124
                        Swarby Level 1

Figured out my issue... seems to be caused by light layers.  I have a single point light layer that was turned on, but doesn't need to be (I'm just using it as an animated Emitter path for Particular).  And I happened to have it turned on when I usually have it off.  Turning it off brings back realtime preview playback.