12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2016 10:26 AM by PICSPORADIC

No boundary warp slider in Panorama in Lr 6.4

phil.keeling

I was excited to see that panorama of Lr 6.4 has been specced to include the boundary warp function. However, the slider does not appear for me. Is there a bug? (MacBookPro late 2011)

• 1. Re: No boundary warp slider in Panorama in Lr 6.4
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi phil.keeling,

I am sorry, however this feature is only for the Creative Cloud Memebers, Lightroom CC 2015.4 / 6.4 now available

Regards,

Tanuj

• 2. Re: No boundary warp slider in Panorama in Lr 6.4
            callumrd1

I would like to know why the Boundary Warp feature is unavailable in the piece of software that I purchased? I spent a lot of money purchasing Lightroom 6 outright simply because I prefer to own a license to my software and not have to deal with managing my finances with more monthly bills than necessary. I did not realize at the time of purchasing that I would be loosing out on headline features by buying the standalone version. I would have purchased the CC version if I knew that I would be loosing features otherwise. Is there any way for us paying customers to use the new features? We are paying customers just as much as any subscription customer.

• 3. Re: No boundary warp slider in Panorama in Lr 6.4
              dj_paige Level 9

I would like to know why the Boundary Warp feature is unavailable in the piece of software that I purchased?

Because there are two versions of Lightroom, with two different pricing structures. You purchased the lower priced version, which has fewer features than the higher priced version. Whether you like it or not, Adobe (and every other company I know of) want you to pay more to get more features.

We are paying customers just as much as any subscription customer.

But you're paying less than the subscription customer.

• 4. Re: No boundary warp slider in Panorama in Lr 6.4
                callumrd1 Level 1

But the standalone version of Lightroom is $150, while the Lightroom subscription that includes Photoshop CC is only $10/month. This makes it appear that the standalone product is not inferior to the CC subscription model. In fact, it is arguably more expensive to purchase the standalone product.

• 5. Re: No boundary warp slider in Panorama in Lr 6.4
                  dj_paige Level 9

After 15 months, the subscription costs more.

A standard life cycle for the standalone software is 2 years. So for 2 years of ownership, the standalone costs $150, the subscription is about $240.

• 6. Re: No boundary warp slider in Panorama in Lr 6.4
                    ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

callumrd1 wrote:

I would like to know why the Boundary Warp feature is unavailable in the piece of software that I purchased? I spent a lot of money purchasing Lightroom 6 outright simply because I prefer to own a license to my software and not have to deal with managing my finances with more monthly bills than necessary. I did not realize at the time of purchasing that I would be loosing out on headline features by buying the standalone version. I would have purchased the CC version if I knew that I would be loosing features otherwise. Is there any way for us paying customers to use the new features? We are paying customers just as much as any subscription customer.

Well, Lightroom 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 never added significant new features between major releases. So really, Lightroom 6 is nothing new in this regard.

The difference with Lightroom CC – like all the other Adobe subscription products – is that new features are released to subscribers as soon as they are available... This is not possible with the standalone model, per GAAP (US accounting rules).

As in the past, Lightroom 6 gets the bug fixes and camera & lens profile additions. The time to look for big new features and upgrades would be in the next traditional release.

• 7. Re: No boundary warp slider in Panorama in Lr 6.4
                      BKKDon Level 4

dj_paige wrote:

After 15 months, the subscription costs more.

A standard life cycle for the standalone software is 2 years. So for 2 years of ownership, the standalone costs $150, the subscription is about $240.

Really these are pointless comparisons to make to 'justify' Adobe policies which are designed simply to push all customers into becoming 'subs' as Adobe also claim that the GAAP (US accounting rules) preclude them from offering updates. This is not true as Microsoft etc will attest to.

And the comparison of the prices is totally wrong ... the $10/month is not just for Lightroom but for Photoshop as well, so if you take 1/3 for Lightroom (2/3 for Photoshop) it works out about the same, $80/$79, for an upgrade every 2 years.

What everyone has to realize is that this is Adobe, they can do what the wish with their products. If you choose to buy the stand-alone version (as I did) you accept the fact that Adobe will NOT give you the functional updates only updates to Camera RAW and bug-fixes.

It is a very simple mathematical calculation ... if you get all the updates, what is the point of upgrading to Lightroom 7 as a standalone product when the time comes (that is if LR 7 is offered as standalone)

• 8. Re: No boundary warp slider in Panorama in Lr 6.4
                        John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe also claim that the GAAP (US accounting rules) preclude them from offering updates. This is not true as Microsoft etc will attest to.

Sorry but accounting rules related to revenue recognition precluding the addition of new features to perpetually licensed products is a genuine driver of the subscription model.

Why Creative Cloud Gets Free Upgrades but Adobe CS6 Doesn’t | ProDesignTools

"This is not an internal Adobe thing, it’s due to very limiting and strict revenue recognition laws which prevent the addition of new features to perpetual license customers at zero cost."

• 9. Re: No boundary warp slider in Panorama in Lr 6.4
                          ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

BKKDon wrote:

... Adobe also claim that the GAAP (US accounting rules) preclude them from offering updates. This is not true as Microsoft etc will attest to.

Actually that is incorrect.  In point of fact, Microsoft works exactly the same way...

Only Office 365 (their subscription offering) is "always up-to-date." The Office 2013 and Office 2016 suites are a "one-time purchase."

...just like Lightroom CC and Lightroom 6.

• 10. Re: No boundary warp slider in Panorama in Lr 6.4
                            PICSPORADIC

Hi I'm wondering if you can  use the boundary warp tool to fix older panoramas (anything created before this update) to Fill in uneven edges - is this only available when creating a new panorama? or is there perhaps an option in Photoshop to use boundary warp an existing image?

• 11. Re: No boundary warp slider in Panorama in Lr 6.4
                              dj_paige Level 9

I don't know the answer, but wouldn't this question take about 1 minute for you to answer by yourself, simply by trying it and seeing what would happen?

• 12. Re: No boundary warp slider in Panorama in Lr 6.4
                                PICSPORADIC Level 1

No, as far as I know you can only apply boundary warp from the panorama panel - which you can't access without more than one photo selected - Feature request?