12 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2016 5:30 AM by Steve Grisetti

media loading generic error

silvadesignllc

I am receiving generic error when trying to upload media. I have had success with other media from the same device with the same file type. Why won't some work?

• 1. Re: media loading generic error
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Little to go on!

Which OS, Elements version and media.

Which device are you revering to?

On a side note: uploading means putting data from your pc to the internet. As the opposite of downloading: getting stuff off the internet to your pc.

You import or ingest media into your editing program.

Not trying to be a know it all but getting the terminology correct can save a lot of confusion in asking/answering questions.

• 2. Re: media loading generic error
            motodude9

I am having this same issue, upon trying to import my media files to Adobe from either my local hard drive or an SD Card, Adobe now throws a generic error. I have used this Machine(Windows) the same camera and the same SD card for over a year with no errors, one day it just stopped working. I tried importing on a colleagues machine and got the same error.

• 3. Re: media loading generic error
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As Ann says, it's harder to give specific advice when we don't know which version of the program you're using and on what operating system.

It would also help to know more about the files you're importing: What format and resolution and from what camcorder.

And what has changed? It's strange that two unrelated computers would suddenly have the same issue! Have you done anything recently -- like, say, uninstall Quicktime?

• 4. Re: media loading generic error
                Level 1

I'm having the same issues.  I use Adobe Premiere Elements 12 and I haven't changed anything on my computer.  When I click on Add Media and try to add an audio file it will not let me.  I have tried it on a friend's laptop as well.  I have a project due for class and I can't finish it because it won't let me add media for the audio files.  I can add my video clips but I can't add my audio files.  Please Help!!!

• 5. Re: media loading generic error
                  Level 1

I forgot to mention I'm using Windows 8.

• 6. Re: media loading generic error

Once again, guys, no one can help you if you don't provide the details we need.

• 7. Re: media loading generic error
                      Level 1

What other details do you need?

• 8. Re: media loading generic error
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

this is the minimum info we need: preferable in one post so we dont have to go through all the posts again, or keep asking.

which OS

Elements version

Project settings (pref. screendump)

exact source files (preferable a screendump of a clip in MediaInfo treeview.

And a screendump of the timeline would not hurt either.

• 9. Re: media loading generic error
                          Level 1

I'm using Premiere Elements 12.  I don't know what all of the other stuff you're asking me for means.  I'm not a computer wizard.  I just need you to tell me how to get my audio file imported into Premiere Elements 12 without getting the importer error message.  My audio files are m4a and that's all I can tell you.  It will accept my video clips but not my audio file.  It was accepting it until just the other day.  I haven't changed anything on my computer.  I downloaded the software onto another computer and I got the same message.  I downloaded a free version of Premiere Elements 14 and I got the same message.  I need help ASAP.  I'm doing this project for a grade.

• 10. Re: media loading generic error

If your m4a files are from iTunes, they are being rejected because Apple embeds copy protection software into their music so that no one can use the songs in a video editor.

• 11. Re: media loading generic error
                              Level 1

They're not from iTunes. My OS is Windows 8.

Sent from my iPhone

• 12. Re: media loading generic error

I'm not going to bang on this any more. We need the details we ask for in order to help you -- including knowing in what device the video files originated (camcorder, still camera, etc.).

Don't assume that just because you're having a similar problem loading a media file into your project that you've got the same issue going on a previous poster. There are a number of issues that can be at work. (What happens, for instance, if you use the free download Audacity to convert the m4a to a WAV file?) That's why I encourage people to start their own thread if they want quick help rather than tagging onto a thread in progress. It just gets confusing trying to troubleshoot several people's problems in the same thread!

We're seeing more and more issues with people trying to load Mac files (MOVs and M4As, for instance) on a PC after having removed Quicktime or never having installed it. Quicktime provides importing support for these files and, despite Apple's pulling support for Quicktime on Windows, there is currently no alternative to having it installed on your computer in order to edit Quicktime-based files.