• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font comping and licensing...

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a copyright infringement problem if I chose to use my collection of client fonts for comping and layouts?

Doing a lot of design jobs over the years have left me with quite an expansive collection of fonts that were - and a lot who still are - being used for clients jobs.

The fonts is licensed to the clients. But some clients have moved on and I still have a copy of their fonts.

I would never use any of the collected fonts for any production, they are strictly for comping/layouting.

Whenever a new customer needs the same font, I look through and try out fonts from my collection, and if the design is approved, I buy the font again specifically for this new client.

I am interested in hearing if I am infringing on any rights, when I use the collected fonts for comping (not production).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your best answer might be from: www.howdesign.com\

Creating new work before client approval is a tough area to navigate.

Admittedly it can be a tough pill to swallow if you need to purchase new fonts before the client even approves their use in a project, having a licensing strategy is critical.

You can use publicly available tools for comping, such as the Web Font Plug-in for Photoshop to create website comps, short-term font rental tools, or even implement a restrictive font purchase plan that covers those who are creating the comps. Whatever works for your team, it’s important that you have a plan and follow it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is the full link if anyone is interested: Top 5 Ways Designers Get Themselves in Trouble with Fonts - HOW Design

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines