10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2016 5:16 PM by slice4444

Character scaling

slice4444 Level 1

The menu to adjust character sizes vertically and horizontally has disappeared. I don't know why this keeps happening. Last time I was told to "Use the flyout menu of the character pallet to select 'Show Options'" That worked. But this time it's not working. When I click the flyout menu on the "Stroke/Color pallet, it just hides and shows that pallet. And when I click the flyout menu on the Character Styles/Paragraph" pallet, all that comes up is a new menu "New character Styles, Load Character styles, etc..." So I went to an InDesign help website and they said to go to "Widows - Types & Tables - Character" "Character" does NOT show as an option however... I'm about to lose it. Please help. I'm sure it's simple. I just want to see and use the dialog box that makes letters taller or wider or sentences wider or narrower or allows custom spacing between lines

• 1. Re: Character scaling
          amyrainbow1

You have your text tool selected - and top left you have the "A" and not the paragraph icon - right? Also, maybe try resetting your window/workspace/advanced or /reset advanced. It's window/type & Tables/Character NOT Character Styles - that is something different.

• 2. Re: Character scaling
            slice4444 Level 1

Correct! There is an "A" on the top left. That whole header menu looks different than it used to. I tried clicking Windows > Workspace > Essentials but it was already checked and did nothing. So I tried "reset Essentials" - that didn't work. There is no "advanced" option to select.... When I click Windows > Types and Tables the options are:

Conditional Text

Cross References

Glyphs

Index

Paragraph

Story

Table

There is no "Character" or "Character Styles" options... But yes, I want the "Characters" dialog box back and while I'm at it I'd like the old header menu back too...

I don't get it but this is frustrating.

• 3. Re: Character scaling
              amyrainbow1 Level 1

I assume you tried quitting INDD, and restarting your computer? Start a new document - try to use "advanced" for the workspace.

• 4. Re: Character scaling
                slice4444 Level 1

I may have restarted the computer because I had updates to install.

So ok, I started a new document.... When I click "Window > Workspace" These are my options:

Untitled (which is checked)

[Book]

Essentials]

[Interactive]

[Interactive for PDF]

[New in CS5.5]

Printing and Proofing]

[Typography]

Reset Untitled

New Workspace

Delete Workspace

There is no "Advanced" option

• 5. Re: Character scaling
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is there a Show All Menu Items at the bottom of the main Window menu?

Have you tried trashing the prefs? See Replace Your Preferences

• 6. Re: Character scaling
                    slice4444 Level 1

If you mean the header menu, I don't see any option

"Show All Menu Items..." Where on the bar would that be?

And yes, I trashed the preferences by hitting ctrl, alt, shift when I restarted InDesign. It trashed everything but didn't resolve the issue.

• 7. Re: Character scaling

Show all menu items should appear a the bottom of any menu list that is set to limit the displayed choices as part of a workspace.

It's sounding like there's a problem with the program installation. Does it work if you restart the computer, logging in with a different user account?

• 8. Re: Character scaling
                        slice4444 Level 1

I'll try restarting it. I am the only user on this computer so there is no other account

• 9. Re: Character scaling

Make a new account. This is an important diagnostic test. If things work in a new user, then the problem is in the old user files, not the program itself.

• 10. Re: Character scaling
                            slice4444 Level 1

OK I will try.... I don't really know how to do that. But hopefully I can figure it out.

BTW I found the "Show Full Menus' option under Windows>Workspace. But it isn't highlighted so I can't click on it