7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2016 9:52 AM by dj_paige

LR stored files on external HD have gone missing or have become unlinked?

seandt007

Help: I opened up LR to go work on some files. The external hard drive where the files are stored is attached. LR has always seen all the files as it is supposed to. NOW, for some reason, it only sees the LR files up through 2014. It is not showing me the files, properly installed and previously worked on numerous times. If I go to my external HD, I can see all the files both prior to 2014 and after. The files are still there on the HD, but they are no longer linked to LR. How/why has this happened and how to I correct it? Thank you.

• 1. Re: LR stored files on external HD have gone missing or have become unlinked?
          dj_paige Level 9

Perhaps you accidentally opened the wrong catalog file? Try File->Open Recent and select each catalog listed there.

• 2. Re: LR stored files on external HD have gone missing or have become unlinked?
            Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi seandt,

Have you checked in All Photographs panel in the Library module and under folders?
            Are those images not showing up at all in Lightroom Library or do they show up with exclamation marks?

Are you working in the same catalog as you were earlier?

Go to File menu > Open Recent > check if you are in the correct catalog.

Regards,

Chetna

• 3. Re: LR stored files on external HD have gone missing or have become unlinked?
              seandt007 Level 1

OK, this helped!! I now have the photos visible that were on my MacBook Air HD, before I migrated to storing on external HD like we are supposed to.

The problem I now have is that the files on the External HD (where I have been storing for last few years) are not loading...and I cannot capture them even when going to Open Recent...

I am wondering, my MacBook Air Flash storage is almost maxed out. Do you think this could block this info from being viewed when opening LR to view these files? I apologize that my computer knowledge isn't super.

thanks for your help. appreciated.

• 4. Re: LR stored files on external HD have gone missing or have become unlinked?
                seandt007 Level 1

OK, this helped!! Thank you!

I now have the photos visible that were on my MacBook Air HD, before I migrated to storing on external HD like we are supposed to.

The problem I now have is that the files on the External HD (where I have been storing for last few years) are not loading...and I cannot capture them even when going to Open Recent...

I am wondering, my MacBook Air Flash storage is almost maxed out. Do you think this could block this info from being viewed when opening LR to view these files? I apologize that my computer knowledge isn't super.

thanks for your help. appreciated.

• 5. Re: LR stored files on external HD have gone missing or have become unlinked?
                  dj_paige Level 9

No, the problem is not storage. The problem is that you have the wrong catalog.

What exactly do you mean when you say the files on the external HD "are not loading"? Can you describe this in detail or show us a screen capture?

• 6. Re: LR stored files on external HD have gone missing or have become unlinked?
                    seandt007 Level 1

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 9.36.40 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-01-29 at 9.35.18 AM.png

Ok. You can see my LR files on the right. (I have been storing all files in Folders up until now as taught by Matt K. I plan to switch to Collections as taught by Scott K.) You can see that LR sees only limited files up until May 27 2014. There are literally thousands of files on the Lacie storage drive as you can see with the screen shot of my external HD Folders.  These have all been stored here through LR. Now I cannot see to access them.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: LR stored files on external HD have gone missing or have become unlinked?
                      dj_paige Level 9

I'm still confused.

First of all, Lightroom is not a file browser, it doesn't have to show the same folders as your operating system, LR only shows photos and folders that have been imported. I also don't understand what you mean that LR sees only limited files up until May 27 2014. None of the folders shown in the Lightroom screen capture exist in the Mac Finder screen capture. What do you think it should be showing, since it is not a file browser?

It still looks like you have opened the wrong catalog file.

I have been storing all files in Folders up until now as taught by Matt K. I plan to switch to Collections as taught by Scott K.

This is confusing me as well, and it indicates you don't understand a key concept here. All of your photos MUST be stored on your hard disk(s) somewhere, in files and folders recognized by your operating system. You can't "switch to Collections", the photos must be stored in folders somewhere.

And some personal advice, I think Scott K. has terrible advice about organizing, you'd be better off ignoring him and store your photos in capture date folders, and add keywords and other metadata to your photos so you can organize and search with keywords and other metadata.

1 person found this helpful