5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2016 6:19 PM by Roei Tzoref Branched to a new discussion.

Zooming into Earth

Randomly Set

I've watched a few YouTube videos on how to create an effect starting in space and zooming into a location on Earth.

For reference, this is the tutorial video I am currently trying to follow:

After Effects Earth Zoom Tutorial pt.1 - YouTube

At around the 10 minute mark, after making sure all layers have NO PARENT, he then assigns all layer (excluding the first) to have the first layer as a parent. He then adds a keyframe and scales.

As soon as I add the scale keyframe, all of the layers below no longer appear, and when i move the slider along the timeline, it simply zooms in and out of Layer 1.

I have watched a few other Tutorial videos, and they all use the same method as this guy. However, reading some of the comments, apparently all the users who seem to be having an issue are running CS6 or better. However, whenever anyone asks if they found a fix, they just say "yes" (it would be nice if they said what the fix was).

I have the full Creative Cloud package, so I am also on the latest software.

Could anyone explain what the problem/fix could be please? Or is there another tutorial out there which is more up to date?

Thanks in advance,

Mat

• 1. Re: Zooming into Earth
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't quite understand what your issue is. I'd have to see it happening to understand. However, rather than take several screenshots and draw on them or make a screen recording, try Andrew Kramer's tutorial at VideoCopilot.net for your earth zoom. Perhaps his explanation of how to do it will be easier to follow.

If you're new to AE, I'd start with a solid foundation in the basics first before I dived into a project that complex! Getting started with After Effects

• 2. Re: Zooming into Earth
            Randomly Set Level 1

I've also followed that tutorial and it's exactly the same, and the same happens to me.

I've done a few projects in AE, and this is the first real problem I've had.

I'll see if I can screen capture exactly what happens.

• 3. Re: Zooming into Earth
              Randomly Set Level 1

I've solved the issue. 3rd time I've started the project from scratch. I did notice that the VideoCopilot guy doesn't precompose him images.... I wonder if that was causing the issue? Oh well, all done, and perfectly aligned.

Next question I have though, I forgot to edit the images I'm using to remove the text from Google Earth. I can edit the images within photoshop to suit my needs, but then the files don't appear to update on the AE timeline - but if you double click on the file, I can see the change,

• 4. Re: Zooming into Earth
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I took a look at the tutorial you are working from and it starts out with a fairly reasonable approach to the problem of stacking a bunch of images up to do an infinite zoom but the overall workflow is not efficient and not something I would recommend. The procedure will get you there but there is a much easier way to do the whole thing using screen captures from Google Earth. You have to be very careful when picking your tutorials and make sure that you vet your trainers so you are not wasting your time. The only really useful thing in this tutorial is the explanation of why you may need to use the Keyframe Assistant>Exponential scale feature in a project. There are a lot better ways to simulate a dolly in or a zoom than using scale.

Any time you are watching a tutorial that involves a bunch of repeating techniques like his 40 or so pre-comps and endless masking and adjusting color ask yourself if there may be a better way to accomplish the task.

Without describing every step in detail I would have captured my Google Earth images on the highest resolution screen I have access to so hopefully they would be 4K or better. I would have more carefully planned the screen captures. I would have made the layers 3D and added a camera with a normal lens, then lined up the images in Z space using the difference mode instead of monkeying around with the opacity, then I would have either done the dolly shot, improperly called a zoom) with a camera move in the Z axis. A simple expression using the distance between the camera and the image would control the opacity of the layer. You could also leave the camera in place and animate the zoom value. If there were color adjustments required as the image zooms in I would have made them using color corrections on each layer. The cloud layers would be cloud maps using CC Sphere with the radius tied to the camera position or the zoom value. No Pre-comps, the only making would be on the images where the entire sphere of the earth was in the frame. Total time to complete the project would be about 20 minutes.

• 5. Re: Zooming into Earth
                  Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
                  As soon as I add the scale keyframe, all of the layers below no longer appear, and when i move the slider along the timeline, it simply zooms in and out of Layer 1.

you probably parented to a 0% scale layer. see this thread: Re: Earth zoom problem.

Next question I have though, I forgot to edit the images I'm using to remove the text from Google Earth. I can edit the images within photoshop to suit my needs, but then the files don't appear to update on the AE timeline - but if you double click on the file, I can see the change,

make sure you are editing the same images that are on your timeline. a good practice is to press Cmd/Ctrl+E (for Edit Original) on your layer either in the project window on in the timeline panel and this will open the designated software associated with the file. I associate Photoshop to all my jpgs. if this opens another software, you can also right click on your layer -> reveal layer source in project and then right click -> reveal in explorer/finder. now you can be sure this is the file to edit. edit in PS, save, and it will update in Ae. if it doesn't, right click on the layer in the project window and select reload footage