4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2016 8:59 AM by FishbulbG

What are these strange inline text editing suggestions in InDesign (w/screen grabs)?

TishmanJ23 Level 1

Recently, these strange text edit suggestions have been showing up as I type or select text in InDesign.  When I highlight certain text I get a little blue underline type notification. When I mouse over it, a little pop up box appears showing whatI can only assume is a suggested automatic edit. When I click on it the underlined character(s) is replaced with the suggested character in the pop up box.

The strange thing is that some of the suggestions make no sense - some are unrecognizable symbols, some are strange characters and some don't appear to change the original character at all. Some just remove a space when I click on it. 

The screen shot below shows the word "stated" selected, the little blue underline type notification, and the gray pop up box with the character it seems to be suggesting for replacement of the blue underlined character. When I click on the character in the gray box, it replaces the "s" in the word.

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 10.11.08 AM.png

Here is one that wants to replace the "i" in the word "thrilled" with... an "i" (huh?):

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 10.10.26 AM.png

Here's one that changes an "o" to what looks like a degree symbol:

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 2.00.06 PM.png

I assume it's some sort of preference that I turned on by accident that might be intended to be helpful somehow, but I can't figure out what I might have done and how to turn them off.

Does anyone recognize this and can you tell me what it is and how to turn it off?

Thanks!