6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2009 5:39 PM by Newsgroup_User

Flash CS4 and ActionScript 2.0

troika22
      Hello

Was wondering if you could recommend the publish and save settings in Flash CS4 when working with ActionScript 2.0.

What are my publish settings?
      Flash Player 8 or 9?
      Script: ActionScript 2.0

Should I be saving the project as CS4 or CS3?
      - I no longer have the ability to save the file as Flash 8 in CS4.
      - It looks like I lose my XML files when I save as CS3

Are there any other settings that need to be changed?

Thanks in advance
      M
        • 1. Re: Flash CS4 and ActionScript 2.0
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          pick flash player version based on your target audience. pick cs3/cs4 based on what whether you want flash cs3 to be able to open your fla.
          • 2. Re: Flash CS4 and ActionScript 2.0
            Level 7
            troika22,

> Was wondering if you could recommend the publish and save
            > settings in Flash CS4 when working with ActionScript 2.0.

Ultimately, it depends on what version of Flash Player you're aiming
            for.

> What are my publish settings?
            > Flash Player 8 or 9?
            > Script: ActionScript 2.0

There are numerous reasons you might decide to code a project in AS2.
            You might, for example, not yet have "taken the plunge" to AS3, so you may
            not be comfortable with it yet. Your project requirements might dictate
            that you support as low as Flash Player 6 (may ad agencies have such
            requirements). You might be updating an existing project, already built in
            AS2.

In any of these cases, your publish settings will be determined by the
            version of Flash Player you're targetting. Flash Player 8 was the first to
            support blend modes and filter effects (drop shadow, etc.), so in order to
            support that, you would have to publish to Flash Player 8. If you don't
            need those, and if your code itself doesn't rely on features that require
            Flash Player 7, you may as well publish to Flash Player 6 and reach the
            greatest number of potential viewers. (The farther back you go, the more
            likely your viewer will have Flash Player installed, because not everyone
            decides to upgrade. That said, most people seem to upgrade.)

> Should I be saving the project as CS4 or CS3?

If you're working with a team and some of those people use Flash CS3,
            you'll have to save it as CS3 any time you want to share the file;
            otherwise, save it as CS4. The FLA settings are independent from the SWF
            publish settings.

> - I no longer have the ability to save the file as Flash 8 in CS4.

Correct. Each edition of the IDE only save to the previous edition, as
            far as source files go. But each edition of the IDE is capable of
            *publishing* as far back as you like.

> - It looks like I lose my XML files when I save as CS3

Which XML files are those?

David Stiller
            Co-author, Foundation Flash CS4 for Designers
            http://tinyurl.com/dpsFoundationFlashCS4
            "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 3. Flash CS4 and ActionScript 2.0
              troika22 Level 1
              Hello again
              I just realized I need to clarify my request. I am a designer new to Flash and have only a basic understanding of ActionScript 2.0 that requires me to use the wizard. In the past, I would set up my files for ActionScript 2.0 and then save them as Flash player 8.

What publish and save settings will allow me to take advantage of the ActionScript 2.0 wizard?
              • 4. Re: Flash CS4 and ActionScript 2.0
                Level 7
                troika22,

> What publish and save settings will allow me to take
                > advantage of the ActionScript 2.0 wizard?

I'm not sure what wizard you mean. Flash 8, CS3, and CS4 have something
                called Script Assist in the Actions panel, regardless what version of
                ActionScript you use. That option helps guide you through your coding, and
                you'll see the button that toggles it on or off in the Actions panel. (I
                personally find it not very helpful for ActionScript 3.0, but that wouldn't
                be an issue here.) Flash 5 and MX (aka 6) have something called Normal mode
                versus Expert mode -- also a toggle option in the Actions panel -- but that
                feature went away in Flash MX 2004 (aka 7). Script Assist is basically a
                resurrection of that feature in a slightly different format.

But maybe you're talking about the Behaviors panel instead?

Can you describe what you're after with different words?

David Stiller
                Co-author, ActionScript 3.0 Quick Reference Guide
                http://tinyurl.com/dpsAS3QuickReferenceGuide

• 5. Re: Flash CS4 and ActionScript 2.0
                  troika22 Level 1
                  Thanks for your detailed answer. I've been confusing my technical abilities with project requirements for my target audience.

As long as I can use Script Assist with ActionScript 2.0 in CS4 I am able to complete my projects.

I would like to verify my options for the Flash player. My understanding is that I can use ActionScript 2.0 with Flash players 6-9. Are there others players that allow me to utilize ActionScript 2.0?

Thanks again
                  M
                  • 6. Re: Flash CS4 and ActionScript 2.0
                    Level 7
                    M,

> As long as I can use Script Assist with ActionScript 2.0 in
                    > CS4 I am able to complete my projects.

Sounds good. :) Yes, Script Assist as available for ActionScript 1.0,
                    2.0, and 3.0 ni Flash CS4.

> I would like to verify my options for the Flash player. My
                    > understanding is that I can use ActionScript 2.0 with Flash
                    > players 6-9.

ActionScript 2.0 is available from Flash Player 6 forward. That
                    includes 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (the current player, as of this reply) and future
                    players.

> Are there others players that allow me to utilize ActionScript
                    >2.0?

If you set your Flash Player first, you'll find out what languages it
                    can support, because the ActionScript dropdown menu will become enabled or
                    disabled accordingly.

David Stiller
                    Contributor, How to Cheat in Adobe Flash CS3
                    http://tinyurl.com/dpsCheatFlashCS3