2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2009 2:20 PM by ProjectedSurplus

cfc's and flex

ProjectedSurplus Level 1
      I've been nose down in numerous Flex resources and due to the abundance of "options" hope those more experienced can provide clarity (thanks in advance for all responses btw).

1.) Flex can connect in various ways to various data providers -- but presumably should be most efficient to a CF8 server(?) due to non-XML conversions (via RDS?/AMF?/ec4x???).

2.) Per the above is Flex able to call cfc's (presumably the best format) ONLY via:

<mx:RemoteObject id="helloWorld" destination="Coldfusion" source="NewCFComponent">
      <mx:method name="GetHello" result="GetHello_handler(event)" />
      </mx:RemoteObject>

and moreover, is this resulting error indicative of a problem in the Flex application properties or in the Remote Object:
      [RPC Fault faultString="[MessagingError message='Destination 'Coldfusion' either does not exist or the destination has no channels defined (and the application does not define any default channels.)']" faultCode="InvokeFailed" faultDetail="Couldn't establish a connection to 'Coldfusion'"]

3.) Following up on Q2, when defining a new flex project with ColdFusion, can someone please explain the
      "Use remote object access service" checkbox and LiveCycle DataServices/ColdFusion Flash Remoting choices? Livedocs is worse than useless, every demo app seems based on using localhost rather than a network devServer so this and the next (configure cf server) page might as well be hieroglyphics IMHO (ie. difference between CF root folder, Web root and Root URL ???????)

4) I understand(?) that LiveCycle Data Services provides extra features like Instant messaging, however requires a (separate?) installation with "an application server" (though I've also recall reading that LCDS is built in CF8)??? If my current DevServer is IIS and Coldfusion, is this either/or to installing "an application server" on the same machine? And is the LCDS installation supplementary to the CF server or does it replace it?

Again, thanks in advance, I realize I may be waaay out in left field on some of these -- but that is why I'm posting after all :)