3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2016 3:04 PM by Just Shoot Me

Switching from Lightroom 4 to 6 on iMac?

AllanDJ

Just taken out a subscription to Lightroom and Photoshop CC, I've got those running fine on a new MacBook Pro on OS X 10.11.2. However, my main computer up until now has been my trusty iMac 27 inch, which is about 6 years or so old,with the RAM maxed out, currently it is still running OS X 10.6.8, I know that I need to upgrade it to the 10.11.2 too before I can download Lightroom & Photoshop CC onto that computer but just wondering what will happen with the image folders etc that LR 4 created. Will LR 6 upgrade or replace LR 4 and keep all the links to the images (which are on a separate hard disk) or  just download as a separate software programme, leaving LR4 in place? I can de-authorise Photoshop CS5 and delete that software completely from the computer, just a bit unsure about Lightroom as it can get a bit tricky if it loses the link to finding an image or images. The trial version that I downloaded and eventually paid for the other day seemed to manage to forget where the images where on the MacBook Pro, it was fine when the trial was running and not so fine afterwards.Not too big a deal as there weren't all that many images there in the first place but there are thousands of images on the iMac and I don't want them misplaced if I can possibly avoid it!

• 1. Re: Switching from Lightroom 4 to 6 on iMac?
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LR4 will remain as a separate app and your photos will be safe. When you install LR CC you will get the option to convert the LR4 catalog which will preserve all your library links. You can choose to convert during installation or you can do it manually afterwards.

So keep LR4 installed, at least for a period until you are completely happy with LR CC. You can then uninstall as any work you do going forward in LR CC won’t be backward compatible.

• 2. Re: Switching from Lightroom 4 to 6 on iMac?
            AllanDJ Level 1

Thanks, will try this in the next few weeks once I have OS X updated

• 3. Re: Switching from Lightroom 4 to 6 on iMac?
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Actually you only need to upgrade that older Mac to 10.9.5 for both LR and PS CC to work on it. You do NOT have to update it all the way to El Capitan and I suggest you don't even try.

But the first thing you should do before upgrading OS X is make a complete system back up using one of the Cloning software packages available, Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper, along with doing a new Full Time Machine backup.

That way if for some reason you don't care for the newer version of OS X you can safely revert that older Mac back to 10.6.8 and keep all your apps and settings in tact.

Take note that any of the newer version of OS X, Lion on upwards, do not support Power PC apps. Snow Leopard 10.6.8 was the last version of OS X that supported Power PC apps. So if you are running older software that was designed for the Power PC CPU they will no longer work once you upgrade OS X.