3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2017 12:11 PM by Plasma_Cutter

Adobe After Effects 3d box for layer forces the mode to disappear.

Onibyron

Every time I use the 3d box to enable that layer, the mode column disappears in order to set to screen on my project.  Updated the AE just in case if that was the issue but to no avail did it resolve that issue. I see other tutorials online which after selecting the 3d box to make the object 3 dimensional did NOT force their Mode column to make it not selectable.

• 1. Re: Adobe After Effects 3d box for layer forces the mode to disappear.
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This will happen if your composition is set to Ray-traced rendering. If you have not turned off the warning that pops up when you enable Ray-traced rendering you should have seen the warning.

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 9.15.56 PM.png

The solution is to put the layers in your comp that require Ray Traced rendering in a separate comp and then nest that comp in a composition that uses Classic 3D so you can use blend modes on the extruded or bent layer. One workflow would be to pre-compose the extruded or bent layer, then change the main comp to Classic 3D. This limitation and NVIDIA deciding to change direction with their CUDA acceleration is the reason that Adobe has deprecated that feature and headed in a new direction.

A much more efficient workflow is to use Chieware and Cinema 4D lite tat is now included with AE. It not only gives you a much better solution it renders much faster and is still being worked on as a feature.

• 2. Re: Adobe After Effects 3d box for layer forces the mode to disappear.
            Onibyron Level 1

Rick Gerald!!! I love you man!!! You have solved my issue on that which I was trying to solve all day yesterday and today!!! Trying to reverse engineer with what I have made and you, Rick have solved. Something so simple which I have overlooked on my work to which was located when you create the new composition is just mind boggling. Kudos to you Rick! I'll be talking to you in the future when I come across issues like this.

• 3. Re: Adobe After Effects 3d box for layer forces the mode to disappear.
              Plasma_Cutter

Rick, you are incredibly awesome... I was going nuts.