4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2016 4:26 AM by Just Shoot Me

How do I move/import folders and photos to a different drive?

KarlKrueger54

I'm new to LR and it seems things are not as simple as tutorials show.

Last night I imported/moved a set of folders and their photos to an external drive G: I plan to organize my photos on. That worked well and must have been beginers luck.

Now I'm trying to move additional folders and photos from a different external drive H: to G:. When I select a source folder and hit the import button all the photos are grayed out and of course I cannot select a destination folder.

To me this is not intuitive and doing this in Windows Explorer is a lot easier. What trick am I missing here???? I simply want to replicate move things from H; to G: but LR won't allow it. Should be easy to do but its not.  If it makes a difference those folders on G: had been imported before.

• 1. Re: How do I move/import folders and photos to a different drive?
          dj_paige Level 9

Last night I imported/moved a set of folders and their photos to an external drive G: I plan to organize my photos on. That worked well and must have been beginers luck.

Now I'm trying to move additional folders and photos from a different external drive H: to G:. When I select a source folder and hit the import button all the photos are grayed out and of course I cannot select a destination folder.

If I am understanding your words correctly, one attempt that worked was moving photos via import, of photos that had not previously been imported. The second attempt to move photos that are already imported into Lightroom, and you cannot move photos that are already in Lightroom via importing. IMPORTANT CONCEPT: never import photos that have previously been imported.

You can, within Lightroom, drag and drop folders from one drive to another. In my opinion, for a better and safer way to move photos that are already in Lightroom, I suggest you read "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location" in this article and follow the instructions there.

To me this is not intuitive and doing this in Windows Explorer is a lot easier.

This is a very common belief for beginners. In my opinion, thinking that Lightroom works the same way as Windows this is a mind-set that needs to change, and the sooner you change this mindset, the sooner you will be able to make effective use of Lightroom. You are not going to manage your photos in the same fashion as you did using Windows, because (IMPORTANT CONCEPT) Lightroom is not a file browser like Windows Explorer is. If you reallly really really want to manage your photos and organize your photos in Windows, then you probably ought to continue using Windows and abandon Lightroom. If you want to use Lightroom, then you must use Lightroom tools and ideas and thought-processes to manage your photos, and you need to learn how to work with Lightroom's strengths instead of working against Lightroom's strengths. Those tools that I am highly recommending are organizing via keywords and other metadata, and I am highly UNrecommending organizing by creating folders and moving photos/folders from here to there (with one exception noted below). Not only does keywords and other metadata give you a more powerful and flexible set of organizational and search tools, but you will find it less frustrating. So, my recommendation boils down to create default folders by capture date, and then organize and search by keywords and other metadata, and the only time you would actually move photos from one place to another is if you decide you want your photos to be on a different drive.

• 2. Re: How do I move/import folders and photos to a different drive?
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You select a Destination location before you hit the Import button in the Import dialog window. All that has to set up before you hit the Import button in the import dialog window.

If you want to Move folder and Files from an internal hard drive to an external or move folders and file from one external drive to another external drive I suggest you do that Before you try importing images into LR. Do that with the File Manager program for your operating system, Windows/File Explorer for Windows or Finder for Mac OS X.

Then once you have the folder structure you want on the external drive and the Files where you want them in each folder then use LR to Import those images. Although LR can do some, and I do mean SOME, File Management IMHO it is not to be used in the way you are trying to use it.

The Move option is meant for Moving files from an external drive, a real external Drive not a memory card, to an internal drive. Like you had an external drive and notebook when you shot a bunch of images and now that you are back home you want to Move those files from the external to an internal drive on a computer that is running LR and Import them at the same time.

In fact Adobe removed that Move option in a recent release of LR, LR CC 2015.2 and .2.1 and LR Stand Alone V6.2 and .2.1.

Then from the screams and hollers of users for that removal and other Dumbing down of the import dialog window they reinstated the older more functional import window.

So set up your folder structure on the external drive you want to use using the File Manager for your OS then import from that external drive into LR using the Add option in the import window.

• 3. Re: How do I move/import folders and photos to a different drive?
              KarlKrueger54 Level 1

Thank you dj_paige and shootistbond007 - I consider both answers to my query as correct. I'm in that steep learning curve so just getting the basics is essential. With all the advice about determining how to organize your photos on the computer I find they actually give little detail how best to implement with LR. Both solutions above still involve using your OS file management system and I can live with that. This quote out of the article typifies what I have experienced. It's a good thing they have this forum to complement where standard help is lacking.

"The actual process of reconnecting missing folders or subfolders is fairly easy, albeit not that easily discovered. "

• 4. Re: How do I move/import folders and photos to a different drive?
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

The bottom line is "Good Folder and File" organization is critical to finding and keeping the files you need and Need to find. Just like in the old days of multi drawer File Cabinets. You start off by dumping all your important files in one drawer then discover you can't find anything let alone the file you are actually looking for. Sure you found the documentation for something you had been looking for 2-3 months ago but not the paperwork you now need.

So you go about organizing things by Date or Alphabetically or for what they are, Home, Car, Tools, Whatever, using File FOLDERS with clear heading descriptions and in different cabinet drawers with clear labels on the drawers.

Same goes for Computer hard drives.

Personally I group images in the years they were taken, 2006, 2007 and so on, then in Subfolders by the month and day, Date, 0121, 1001 (Month first then the days date). Then in LR you can group images by Keywords and or collections to combine images from multiple years, months, days for different subjects, places you've been, people you know, whatever way you want to place images from those different years months and day into grouping that makes sense to You.