2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2016 3:42 AM by holgermischkephoto

Will LR find all my folders that have pictures and place them in LR? [was: LR]

redride

Will LR find all my folders that have pictures and place them in LR?  I have Picasa 3, Windows photo gallery, movie maker and it's getting confusing.  I waste time searching my computer for pictures.  Need to be better organized

• 1. Re: LR
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

No LR doesn't have the ability to search your drives and find all images. You have to Select the Source, the folders, your images are in during the import process.

• 2. Re: Will LR find all my folders that have pictures and place them in LR? [was: LR]
            holgermischkephoto Level 2

Actually, Lightroom could find all iamges and videos for you if you select the hard drive as a source on import and include subfolders. But frankly - bad idea. To get organized you should first think about what kind of folder structure would work for you. I personally have them sorted into folders labeled place-year-month (e.g. "Paris 2016-01"), cos i'd probably remember the place, maybe not the date the picture was taken. Once you have everything sorted into folders which all live in one main folder labeled whatever you want (i called it "My Lightroom photos"), then import it into Lightroom. That folder can be stored anywhere you want, but even if you think your hard drive is big, i'd rather go for an external drive and back it all up to a second one.

After that ALL of your organization, renaming, keywording should definitely be done in Lightroom, otherwise it will lose track of your pictures and videos and you'll have to "tell" Lightroom where you moved the pictures etc.

Hope that helps