7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2016 7:48 AM by grace5000

Why are my comps changing their transform settings after saving?

grace5000

I'm saving everything. This is after I completely finish a comp, go back to replay and all of the scale and position settings are off by the same amount (for example, scale should be 100/100, is now 206/206, next scale position should be 150/150, is now 256/256)?  Only thing I alter after saving is, I have a second comp in the file that originally "followed" the first comp.  After I "unfollow" the first comp, the changes happen. I've tried locking comp 1, saving a million times before I do anything.  Nothing else changes--only the scale and position settings in comp 1.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• 1. Re: Why are my comps changing their transform settings after saving?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have never seen this. Reveal all modified proprietiesml in the layers that are giving you problems. Record screenshots and try again. If you can't figure out what is going on we need details.  

• 2. Re: Why are my comps changing their transform settings after saving?
            grace5000 Level 1

Thanks.  Will do.  Just tried a test version and it worked fine.  Tomorrow when I'm back in a new one, if it happens again, I'll post before and after screenshots of the property values.

• 3. Re: Why are my comps changing their transform settings after saving?
              grace5000 Level 1

Hi--Me again.  I actually tried to record screenshots, but it was hard to do. I didn't realize until it happened again (after I finished coding a new comp) approximately when it happened. Specifically, this is what's going on :

I put together a comp which has two other comps inside it.  On top of that, I add, text and jpgs.  I code one of the nested comps by changing the scale and positions (to approximate camera moves.)  After I finish coding it, I copy/paste about 6 new items (a mix of text and jpgs) from another (earlier) file (I'm doing a series and the ending is always the same, kind of like similar credits.) After I paste those elements into the comp, I save and typically, all of the positions and/or just scale changes by exactly the same number.  For example, if one of the positions in the comp was originally 960 x 540 and the scale 100 x100, it changes to 1025 x 605  and the scale changes to 165 x 165.  Every single position/scale in the comp is then off by the exact same amount (in this case 65 higher)   Sometimes, it's just the scale that changes. The number(s) it changes to vary.  So the last time I wrote, everything was off by 106.  Today, just the scale was off by 65.

Any suggestions?  Could there be something in the text/jpgs that's messing with everything and causing it all to adjust (in a bad way) like this?

Many thanks again.

• 4. Re: Why are my comps changing their transform settings after saving?
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That sounds so odd.

I can't think of anything that would cause that unless there was some script running or some expression or parenting that you weren't aware of or something like that.

Out of curiosity, what version of AE and what OS?

• 5. Re: Why are my comps changing their transform settings after saving?
                  grace5000 Level 1

I'm running AE 5.5 and my mac OS is 10.6.6 .  I've been using this version for a few years with absolutely no problem.  I suspect it's a script or expression, mostly because I'm copy/pasting a few elements from one file into new ones and this is when it started. BTW, strangely, one it's all corrected (scale/position adjusted to their original values) and saved, it doesn't happen anymore.

How can I search to see if there's a script or expression running (it's not parenting--initially I thought it was, but the last time around, nothing was parented and I still had the issue.)

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Why are my comps changing their transform settings after saving?
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can highlight all of your layers and press ee to reveal expressions.

A script doesn't usually run unless you tell it to, so it's unlikely to be that, but it wouldn't hurt to move any scripts you've installed out of the scripts and scripts ui folders, just to be sure.

• 7. Re: Why are my comps changing their transform settings after saving?
                      grace5000 Level 1

Will try.  I didn't install any scripts.  But I will check.  Thanks!