14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2016 5:50 PM by jo4737195

No video in character animator with logitech c920 windows 10 x64

jo4737195

For some reason I have no video, but audio works a little bit with my hd pro Logitech c920 webcam.

Windows 10 x64

All drivers are up to date and the webcam works fine with other programs, including the Logitech control panel.

Please help as this is rather confusing as I have tried everything I know ...

<7164> <dvalua> <5> trying to reset to camera 1

• 1. Re: No video in character animator with logitech c920 windows 10 x64
          jo4737195 Level 1

BTW, its a Z170 4GHZ, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 980 TI 6GB SC

Here is the information for my camera

=== Start of device information =======================

Device name:           Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920

USB Vendor ID (VID):   0x046D

USB Product ID (PID):  0x082D

USB Revision (BCD):    0x0011

Firmware Version:      7.5.1023

Firmware CRC:          0xFFFF

EEPROM Version:        0.0

Sensor Type:           4.38

Driver Version:        13.80.853.0

=== End of device information =========================

• 2. Re: No video in character animator with logitech c920 windows 10 x64
            Kevin Karr Level 1

Hi there,

I have the exact camera and have no issues. It could be because you have more then one camera installed on the machine or a driver that thinks its a camera.

Did you try cycling through your list of available cameras ?

you have to do that from the little stack of - "lines" menu where it says Camera and Microphone.

• 3. Re: No video in character animator with logitech c920 windows 10 x64
              Kevin Karr Level 1

Followup to that would be go through your Windows device manager, show hidden drivers (in the advanced menu - windows 7 64bit) delete any greyed out drivers under your imaging devices. by greyed out devices I mean ones not more sharp that show active drivers or devices. Unplug the camera, reinstall it / let windows find the device. Also update the latest driver on Logitechs website. Further to that, make sure you have the latest chipset driver for your USB port you are plugged into. If intel download intels latest chipset driver and restart the computer before trying the camera driver. Hope that helps.

• 4. Re: No video in character animator with logitech c920 windows 10 x64
                jo4737195 Level 1

Yes I have tried cycling through the cameras and it says only 1 camera detected.  I tell it to go to default camera and it pulls up the video source menu asking me to select a device.  I have also tried uninstalling Logitech and reinstalling.

I have even attempted to uninstall and reinstall adobe character animator preview 3 and this does not resolve the problem

Again, the camera is functioning properly, my USB ports are functioning properly, I have the latest drivers for all my devices.  For some reason Character Animator will not recognize my Logitech c920.

even when I ctrl-k the only preferences are audio preferences, it shows nothing for video as it only recognizes the audio from my razer microphone, it does not pull anything from the camera.

the program is communicating with the camera because the light comes on when I try to link the video source.  Also when I exit out of character animator the camera continues to be in use by character animator.

I would not be writing on this forum if the answer was resetting drivers or reinstalling software.

• 5. Re: No video in character animator with logitech c920 windows 10 x64
                  jo4737195 Level 1

Yes I have tried cycling through the cameras and it says only 1 camera

detected. I tell it to go to default camera and it pulls up the video

source menu asking me to select a device. I select the logitech camera,

click apply and click ok.  It does not bring up the camera.  I have also

tried uninstalling Logitech and reinstalling.  I have even attempted to

uninstall and reinstall adobe character animator preview 3 and this does

not resolve the problem

Again, the camera is functioning properly, my USB ports are functioning

properly, I have the latest drivers for all my devices. For some reason

Character Animator will not recognize my Logitech c920.

even when I ctrl-k the only preferences are audio preferences, it shows

nothing for video as it only recognizes the audio from my razer microphone,

it does not pull anything from the camera.

the program is communicating with the camera because the light comes on

when I try to link the video source. Also when I exit out of character

animator the camera continues to be in use by character animator.

I would not be writing on this forum if the answer was resetting drivers or

reinstalling software.

This camera has no issues running in any and all other programs as it is

used constantly for streaming and recording video.

• 6. Re: No video in character animator with logitech c920 windows 10 x64
                    jo4737195 Level 1

do you need me to send screenshots or specific hardware specifications?

• 7. Re: No video in character animator with logitech c920 windows 10 x64
                      Jeff Almasol Adobe Employee

Can you provide a screenshot of Device Manager's "Sound, video and game controllers", "Universal Serial Bus controllers", and "Human Interface Devices" sections?

Also, are other applications that that can also use the webcam running at the same time? If so, does quitting or temporarily disabling them allow help?

• 8. Re: No video in character animator with logitech c920 windows 10 x64
                        Kevin Karr Level 1

Yes this sounds like a more involved system issue the more you talk about it...

It's possible you have a Video codec problem or a video card driver issue. The Logitech C920 uses H.264 Codec. Have you tried reinstalling that codec and updating your graphics drivers ?  This is just a guess ( I am not tech support for Adobe keep in mind) I believe you can download the K-lite megapack or something similar that includes the H.264 codec.

This definitely sounds like a Windows / video problem and not a camera problem as I already mentioned I have one and it works perfectly. Plus if your getting the blue light to come on, it means communication is working. I would also recommend running CCleaner to tidy up your windows system a bit, Doing a windows defrag (which sometimes can clear up or realize file system issues you may be unaware of - although rare,the windows registry can get messed up a bit if your file system is out of whack).

Hope that helps.

• 9. Re: No video in character animator with logitech c920 windows 10 x64
                          jo4737195 Level 1

device manager.png

Its just very odd as I rarely have a problem troubleshooting things like this.  There has to be a conflict somewhere in the communication as it has no problems pulling in my Razer audio devices, or the built in speakers for audio out on the monitors.  I do have a lot of programs that use the camera, but none of them are running at start-up.  All drivers are completely up to date and no conflicts are ever shown.

I am not sure how to actually check which codec drivers I have installed as I have never had a need to customize these before.  I am also hesitant to install anything on my computer from developers I do not know.  I also typically do not keep hardware for more than 2 years and only purchase heavily supported brands I trust (Asus MB, Ripsaw RAM, Intel processor, Acer monitors, razer audio periphs, Nvidia Ti Graphics, etc) so the need for third party patches has never been necessary.

I do run multiple capture cards, and do have two internal capture cards (Aver HD and Elgato HD60) - but the problem occurs even if I have nothing active (plugged in) to the capture cards.  I also run on a x64 system, which does sometimes have a bit more glitches with new software releases.

Thanks!

• 10. Re: No video in character animator with logitech c920 windows 10 x64
                            Jeff Almasol Adobe Employee

If you temporary disable each capture device at a time (right-click, then choose Disable), is it one specific device that is causing the problem? I just tried our Logitech C920 on a Win 10 machine and didn't have trouble. I didn't install the store app, just let Win 10 find the default driver for it. When I connected a second Logitech webcam, it could only see one (the newer one I attached).

• 11. Re: No video in character animator with logitech c920 windows 10 x64
                              Kevin Karr Level 1

I'm running Windows 7 X64 which may be different however, if you upgraded from Windows 7 there may be left over drivers causing issues...

The idea is to eliminate possibilities of causing interference and start as fresh as you can with the troubleshooting.

What worked for me was going to the view menu and choosing "show hidden devices"

You can essentially delete anything that is greyed out in the Sound video and communications section. Don't worry anything that is greyed out means its not plugged in or there is an old driver on the system.

it will reinstall once you plug something back in.

One section also to look at is the System devices to make sure old Motherboard chipset drivers and USB drivers (greyed out) are deleted. Careful not to delete anything here that might be still in use on your current motherboard.

My recommendation is to keep your C920 unplugged, delete any sound and video game controller that is greyed out (or slightly faded only).

do not delete any driver that isn't greyed out as its working fine and probably in use.

After this,

Run something like CCleaner on the registry and Files to clean things out. Reboot

Then after you have rebooted, replug your C920 in have it redetect itself from the drivers. After this you may need to reinstall the device drivers from the website (latest) if there are windows 10 versions available (I used windows 7 X64 drivers).

See if that fixes anything. The above worked for me when I couldn't get any Camera to work on my system,the same thing could be happening to your system but getting a different effect in windows 10.

If none of that works, focus on reinstalling your graphics card drivers to the latest (you may need to completely remove them, run CCleaner then reinstall fresh copy) as the Graphics card could have some codec problems or not displaying the camera properly. If you're using Nvidia, Let it remove the old one and do a complete reinstall under customer options when installing the newest driver.

Let us know how that goes.

After that, I recommend looking at installing a K-lite codec for the H.264 just to see if it makes any difference. There also may be a specific issue to windows 10 with the C920 I'm not a aware of at which point.....

Contact Logitech support for windows 10 support with the C920.

Hope that helps.

Kevin.

• 12. Re: No video in character animator with logitech c920 windows 10 x64
                                jo4737195 Level 1

The conflict is coming from Adobe Character Animator and the active drivers for both of my internal capture cards (both Aver HD and Elgato HD60).  Both of these drivers require restarts to disable.  When both Aver and Elgato are disabled the camera is now visible, the facial recognition dots come on. 

The conflict does not return if I re-enable both the aver and elgato capture cards.  It only occurs if those devices are enabled at startup.

I am running windows 10, this system was built on windows 10, it has never had a previous version of windows installed.  Additionally, I have not used any other camera other than the Logitech HD c920. 

I did not let windows install the Logitech drivers, as I downloaded the latest drivers from Logitech before plugging in the device. 

It is a conflict with my both Aver and Elgato internal capture cards.  I can only assume the same conflict will arise if I use their external capture cards as well.  This is an issue for any streamer who wants to overlay the character animator into their stream.

I hope this information helps!  Thanks for all your help.  I look forward to the program coming out of Preview

• 13. Re: No video in character animator with logitech c920 windows 10 x64
                                  Kevin Karr Level 1

Wow! Good to know and good job tracking this one down! Specific Driver incompatibilities are tough ones to find and solve !

Cheers

• 14. Re: No video in character animator with logitech c920 windows 10 x64
                                    jo4737195 Level 1

Glad we found the problem.  Thanks for all of your help!  I'm excited to see the full version launch. 

BTW, these are two extremely popular internal capture cards for gamers/streamers.  I would also look to test the driver compatibilities with the external capture cards from both Aver and Elgato as they seem to be the industry leaders today (and foreseeable future) and have the highest capture capabilities today (HD 60 fps).