5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2016 6:11 AM by Just Shoot Me

If lightroom just points to a folder then why wont it show duplicates or whatever is in the actual folder ?

ps52861463

Managing folders in Lightroom CC is absolutely ridiculous. Import function didn't work and crashed and now I have

folders in places I didn't put them, folders with thousands of pictures according to LR but you can't acutally

see the picture ( probably because it duplicated the name during the failed import ). I can see pictures in my

explorer that LR doesn't and what's in the LR folder isn't in explorer. Can't believe this programme is so incompetent

and wastes so much time. Tried to look at forums and just found hundreds of import issues with apology from

Adobe but that still doesn't help the fact that it is such a poor photo / file manager. Now I have a huge mess with

multiple folders and LR is absolutely impossible to work with.

• 1. Re: If lightroom just points to a folder then why wont it show duplicates or whatever is in the actual folder ?
          richardplondon Level 4

I suggest you first need to re-examine your premise: "If lightroom just points to a folder then why wont it show duplicates or whatever is in the actual folder".

In fact LR doesn't point to a folder, and since its Library isn't a file browser (just the Import screen is a file browser), and since importing or not importing is a selective process, LR isn't claiming to show whatever is in the actual folder. It's showing the items which are currently registered within an image library.

Maybe it's helpful to use the analogy, of the membership list for a club or a society. That membership list would not be more useful to the club, if it ALSO listed out everyone who was not a member of the club.

The Catalog only shows images which have been imported (registered in a database). The Folders panel is no more than a dynamic database report - showing the various folders which Catalog records currently show member images being stored in. If someone has joined the club twice under different addresses, then two addresses may show. That's not to say that they are now correct addresses.

It is all about the images and their individual properties. When LR's filter bar displays: here's a lens which 23 images (that have been imported) were taken with, and here's another lens which 17 images were taken with, etc; that's no different.

One problem comes if the same people keep signing up for the club over and over again. Perhaps they have moved, for example, and the club records don't show their new address. The fix for that is NOT to join the club again - because your old membership will still remain showing the older address TOO. The fix is to get the club to update its records.

Or, what many people find, is that if you are using LR as an IMAGE manager then there's a lot less FILE management needed altogether. Stuff doesn't need to move around or change as to its physical storage and naming - you can organise yourself using virtual tools inside the Catalog, whereby everything just stays put physically. Handle once, then leave it be, IOW.

All a matter of expectation; and of having a concept of what is going on, and of how to achieve things, which fits the actuality.

Many people are justifiably proud of, and also highly picky about, their skills and procedures with micromanaging files and folders. That's where all their familiarity and comfort zone lie. A product like Lightroom makes much of that largely redundant - it is just a matter of whether, for you, the prospect of adapting yourself to that change is a positive - or a negative. 

• 2. Re: If lightroom just points to a folder then why wont it show duplicates or whatever is in the actual folder ?
            dj_paige Level 9

If lightroom just points to a folder then why wont it show duplicates or whatever is in the actual folder ?

Lightroom is not a file browser. Do not think that Lightroom works the same as your operating system file browser (Mac Finder or Windows Explorer).

The sooner you can grasp this point, the sooner you will be able to use Lightroom effectively.

So I would like to repeat and emphasize what richardplondon has stated

Or, what many people find, is that if you are using LR as an IMAGE manager then there's a lot less FILE management needed altogether. Stuff doesn't need to move around or change as to its physical storage and naming - you can organise yourself using virtual tools inside the Catalog, whereby everything just stays put physically. Handle once, then leave it be, IOW.

Those virtual tools inside the Lightroom Catalog are primarily keywords and other metadata (captions, titles, etc.) When you use those, you don't need to move photos around (with one exception) and you don't need to have a detailed folder structure, rather you need a very simple folder structure like capture date (which is a Lightroom default and takes zero effort on your part). The exception is that if you need to move photos to a different hard disk, then of course you should do that — but otherwise moving photos is unnecessary.

• 3. Re: If lightroom just points to a folder then why wont it show duplicates or whatever is in the actual folder ?
              Abambo Level 4

I suggest that you look at the tutorials from Adobe (ie Julieanne Kost's Blog). There you will get the necessary knowledge to work with Lightroom.

I had, before switching to Lightroom a structure for my image files, that fitted my workflow very well. All images in one directory root, organized according year and date (and then subject). This is similar to what Lightroom suggests doing. I was structured and had no problem importing my 7 years of digital photographs into Lightroom.

As stated by answers before: Lightroom is not a file manager. It's basically building during import action a database, where it reminds where the files are located and what the meta data of the file is. It stores that in a directory that is as a standard located in your user data area (on Windows: Pictures->Lightroom). There are options to move or copy files round during import, but you do not need to move your files, except if they are on a temporary media like the SD or CF card.

I had also the phenomena, that Lightroom crashed in the middle of an "export as catalogue" operation. That is, to my findings, to be attributed to an unstable PC then to Lightroom.

What now your import action is concerned check first the directory structure:

• Are the image files still located at their original place?

If not, you instructed Lightroom to move them around and yes, then crashing Lightroom will let some data moved and some not. You need to decide, if you leave them there, or if you want moving them back to their original location. If you copied the pictures, you have no problem. Just delete the copies. I would do those operations outside of Lightroom!

Second: If you are sure, that the import only failed an there are no duplicate images (visible outside of Lightroom), try redoing the import on a new catalogue. Pay attention to your parameters and double check a copy/move options as well as "rename during import". They are great, but only for importing new data from the camera. If there are really duplicated images, you can delete the duplicates.

• 4. Re: If lightroom just points to a folder then why wont it show duplicates or whatever is in the actual folder ?
                ps52861463 Level 1

Thanks for the input. I read several forums and many were explaining how it doesn't actual store the file it only is a

reference to it which I understand. I have used iPhoto, aperture, Nikon's viewNX etc over the years so I am aware

that it's not a simple file browser. My problem is that LR behaves eratically. When I set it up and asked it to import

to a specific drive - chose it on the destination folder etc. It just created more folders on the C: instead of the D:

where I wanted it. So I ended up with photos in several folders. I then tried to move them in LR from C: to D: by

dragging them across and it seemed to work, the files in C: were 0 and the D: drive was full of pictures. Next time

I opened LR again, thousands of pictures were suddenly back in the C: drive folders except most you can't see the

actual image meaning there is a copy elsewhere, except there isn't, I scanned the hard drives. There seems to be

a conflict with the file names now. So now I have multiple folders and missing pictures. Re-naming a file doesn't

seem to help. So how do I consolidate all these folders I never wanted?

rgds

Peter

• 5. Re: If lightroom just points to a folder then why wont it show duplicates or whatever is in the actual folder ?
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

It sounds like you have problems with your computer.

In the Import dialog window in the Destination area you have to actually Select the Drive and Folder, it has to be Highlighted.

Make sure the Option to "Make Second Copy" is not selected or if you want to make a second copy make sure it is pointing to the actual folder you want those second copies place in.

In the Destination area make sure "Into Subfolders" is not checked (that is unless you want them placed in subfolders by date or whatever) and that "Into one folder" is selected or the other option "By Date" and then select the Date Format you want. Then you have to actually expand the drive you want them saved to and Click on, "Highlight" the folder you want them copied to.

Like this.

Import folder selection.PNG

If after doing all that your images are getting placed on the C drive in some folder you didn't choose then you have a drive, hardware, permissions problem and or your install of LR is FUBAR and should be uninstalled and reinstalled.