4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2009 3:23 AM by miche_r

Preloading images to get a smooth animation

miche_r Level 1
      Okay, I don't really know if this problem is caused by preloading or what, but here's the deal: I have a video loop, and I created a sequence of images from it. I have imported these images (150 images with pixel size 1024x608) to Director MX 2004 and I have inserted them to timeline. I'd like to create a looping animation which is displayed in the beginning until user clicks "start" (no shockwave, local presentation used from hard drive). Basically this works, but the first time that image loop is played, it goes through images quite slowly and animation doesn't look smooth. When loop is displayed for the second time, everything goes nicely and animation is smooth.

Is Director loading these images to some cache when the loop is played the first time, and because of that it can display the images smootly next time? Is there a way that I could preload images before the animation is displayed, because the not-so-smooth animation looks quite bad.
        • 1. Re: Preloading images to get a smooth animation
          Level 7
          Absolutely. Just look up preload in the help or manual.

You can preload cast members or a piece of the score (which ultimately loads
          cast members) but Director will load only as much as memory will permit.
          You can do it through lingo or through cast member settings

--
          Craig S. Wollman

Word of Mouth Productions
          159-00 Riverside Drive West
          New York, New York 10032
          (212) 928-9581
          "miche_r" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gp2su8$alh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Okay, I don't really know if this problem is caused by preloading or what,
          > but
          > here's the deal: I have a video loop, and I created a sequence of images
          > from
          > it. I have imported these images (150 images with pixel size 1024x608) to
          > Director MX 2004 and I have inserted them to timeline. I'd like to create
          > a
          > looping animation which is displayed in the beginning until user clicks
          > "start"
          > (no shockwave, local presentation used from hard drive). Basically this
          > works,
          > but the first time that image loop is played, it goes through images quite
          > slowly and animation doesn't look smooth. When loop is displayed for the
          > second
          > time, everything goes nicely and animation is smooth.
          >
          > Is Director loading these images to some cache when the loop is played the
          > first time, and because of that it can display the images smootly next
          > time? Is
          > there a way that I could preload images before the animation is displayed,
          > because the not-so-smooth animation looks quite bad.
          >

• 2. Re: Preloading images to get a smooth animation
            Level 7
            Why are you de-constructing your video into a series of images (that
            Director then struggles to load and play smoothly) instead of just
            playing your video as a loop?
            • 3. Re: Preloading images to get a smooth animation
              miche_r Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
              Why are you de-constructing your video into a series of images (that
              Director then struggles to load and play smoothly) instead of just
              playing your video as a loop?

There are some editable text fields in the same area than the animated background, and I have had problems putting text in the video area. Otherwise video would be ok.
              • 4. Re: Preloading images to get a smooth animation
                miche_r Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                Absolutely. Just look up preload in the help or manual.

You can preload cast members or a piece of the score (which ultimately loads
                cast members) but Director will load only as much as memory will permit.
                You can do it through lingo or through cast member settings

Thanks. For some reason preloading using cast member settings didn't work, but "_movie.preLoad(1, 220)" in the startmovie worked great!