9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2016 2:40 PM by Peru Bob

avi to dvd

Lawrosa

Hello all and thanks for your help..

I would like to make the best home DVD movie I can make.. This is in regards to quality.. I have PE 14

I have a cannon tape based camera. ZR 960.  I import my movie into my computer with windows movie make as an AVI file. My movies are about an hour long. The movies I guess shoot at a 29 frame rate? ( Im newer to this technical stuff)

My main issue is the export to DVD.. The only real option I have is to record in 480 to DVD. I have made two succesful movies so far. I did try to burn one at the 576? size but the movie was jerky. I think because the frame rate on 576 was 25 and did not match my original..

What I see are options for AVCHD movies that I could burn in 1080. I tried to burn a movie on a standarrd 4.7 disk and checked the box fit to disk.. It did not play in any players I have. I have a standard dvd player, but also tried it in my sons x box one which is blue ray.. Like I said it did not work..

So because I have a tape based camera an I stuck making my movies in 480 SD?

Is there a way to export to a higher quality? ( I was going to go out and buy a dual layer dist to try that but figure I would ask here)

Also should I start thinking about getting a new camera that is not tape based? ( I also was told tape based renders the best quality but it seems the new cameras can do 1080)

I am really kind of confused here and thanks for your help..

Mike NJ

• 1. Re: avi to dvd
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can't get a higher quality output than your media that you use in the project. If it records in 720 X 480, that should be good enough for DVD.

Use SP rather than LP for the best you can get out of that camera.

• 2. Re: avi to dvd
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My main issue is the export to DVD.. The only real option I have is to record in 480 to DVD.

That is the only option you have as your tape camera is (not just because its tape) but its standard definition (not High Definition)

So AVCHD is no option nor is Bluray .

1 hour of footage will fit nicely on a standard dvd disk.

I assume you play your dvd on a big HD tv and it looks awfull?

If you want to play home made dvd's on a big hd screen reasonably well you need a bluray player to play your dvd disks as it has a build in upscaler.

480 is NTSC used in the States,  576 is Pal and used outside the States.

To be honest tape camera's are obsolete.

Get your self a nice avchd camera with removable sd cards.

• 3. Re: avi to dvd

I see Ann has replied while I was editing my response.

In addition to what Ann said about using a Blu-Ray player to upscale, many DVD players will also upscale well.

• 4. Re: avi to dvd
                Lawrosa Level 1

I think my DVD player upscales as the output on my 48" tv fits screen left to right.. The top and bottom are cut with black bars. I do have my camera set to record in 16.9 vs 4.3 I think too.. ( Not sure if that is a setting or not)

So I burned a dual layer disk of one of my movies in avchd and it would not play . I tried computer, dvd player, and my sons x box one blueray player..

So whats my next step?

My local best buy has the cannon vixias in my price range. The 600, 60 and 62..

Im leaning to the 62 and this is my price range.. Its 249 on sale..

Canon VIXIA HF R62 32GB HD Flash Memory Camcorder Black 0278C004 - Best Buy

But can you please tell me what this camera will do for me over my tape based camera?

Lets give a scenerio.

I will record in mpeg4 and the 60 p setting? Or AVCHD at 60P? Correct?

Then I will get this into adobe elements 14. So what will be my output options to DVD then with this format? Since I dont have blueray for family viewing will it still output only 480?

Or with this mpeg 4 will my choices be increased in the abobe export menu? ( I just dont want to make a expensive mistake..

And now thinking about it my TV has a usb port. I suppose I could just save my movies in AVI to one of my 3 TB hard drives, and when I want to watch a movie copy it to a flash drive to plug into the TV? Oh wait I dont know if my TV will play a AVI file...Umm Ill have to do more research..

Umm thats for the help so far.. Any more advice would be appreciated...

• 5. Re: avi to dvd

Avchd disk wont play in a dvd player, you need a Bluray player for that. (Either the x box does not support avchd disk or might not made the avchd disk correct??)

This new camera will give you 60p in 1920x1080 high definition in avchd format (it also shoots in mp4) which is about twice the size of standard definition.

Yes this footage will be editable in PE14

But if you want dvd you are back it square one. DVD is and always will be standard definition

You can make a AVCHD disk which is High Definition on a DVD disk but still needs a Bluray player to play it.

Saving to avi for on a usb stick is not an option as (dv)-avi is not supported (its a payed codec)

You can convert the avi to mkv (that is an avi with the Matroska codec which is free) which most devises do support.

But then again avi is standard definition, back to square one.

You can however export your movie to mp4 in high definition resolution which is supported widly.

• 6. Re: avi to dvd
                    Lawrosa Level 1

OK I think I am getting it now..

So any camera tape based ( what I have) or memory based camera will only output to DVD in SD for a regular DVD player

You can make a AVCHD disk which is High Definition on a DVD disk but still needs a Bluray player to play it.

I tried that but it would not play on my sons x box one.. Maybe I need to burn it with the blue ray setting and not the AVCHD setting in elements?

But how will the quality actually turn out from a tape based recording in AVI format?

So basically my best option is to get a new camera like the cannon R62 and buy a blue ray player also for family viewing? Will the blue ray player be able to play my old DVD's?

Will the new camera be better then the tape based camera I have? Maybe I will try again to burn a blue ray DVD with one of my 12gig AVI home movies on a dual layer disk...

What do you think? And thank you for the help......

• 7. Re: avi to dvd

OK I think I am getting it now..

So any camera tape based ( what I have) or memory based camera will only output to DVD in SD for a regular DVD player

Its not because its a tape camera, but its because your present camera produces SD as in standard definition, when capurted its dv-avi and then DVD is only way to go. (dv-avi is SD)

If you have a HD  (High Definition) camera (like in the link you gave) you can output to an avchd disk or bluray disk or other formats in HD.

I tried that but it would not play on my sons x box one.. Maybe I need to burn it with the blue ray setting and not the AVCHD setting in elements?

Sorry I forgot that your camera is SD so it will not work with an AVCHD disk, You need HD source material to make such a disk.

On a side note I which Elements did not offer the option to make avchd disks as it does not play on all standalone BD players.

Please try to remember its either a Bluray Disk , an AVCHD disk or a DVD disk. There is no BluRay DVD.

• 8. Re: avi to dvd
                        Lawrosa Level 1

OK.. So blue ray is WOW expensive for the disks.. Um how good is the quality from camera to blue ray if I go this route?

Blu-ray Disc: Blank Blu-ray Discs - Best Buy

So cheaper is to make a AVCHD disk with the new camera and use dual layer. Cheaper but still needs to play in a blue ray player, correct? And how is that quality compared to BD?

Is there any other format I can capture my tape based camera to make it better quality? I assume AVI was the best I could do..  Like can I convert it to mpeg 4 or something?

Sorry all the questions.. I dont want to sound stupid or repeat myself but I am just trying to understand...

• 9. Re: avi to dvd

Lawrosa wrote:

Is there any other format I can capture my tape based camera to make it better quality?

No.  You can not get a better looking output than what you put in.  It's not a matter of the format, but of the amount of information that your camera takes in.

You can export to a higher quality output, but it won't look better.