1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 31, 2016 5:37 AM by Rick Gerard

How can i make a box by drawing a line (allthough i want that the area in the box is transparent and not filled by colors)

LM10Prod Level 1

Hi everytime i create a box on AE by drawing a line and i connect all the lines i did, the inside of this Box is black but i want it to be transparent, how can i do this?

• 1. Re: How can i make a box by drawing a line (allthough i want that the area in the box is transparent and not filled by colors)
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are talking about a shape layer then set the fill to none. Please study up on shape layers by type shape layers or animating shape layers in the search help field at the top right corner of AE and follow some of the community resources.

If you are wanting to make a transparent hole in a layer so you can see through the box then you can either use a mask or a shape layer as a track matte. Making a hole with a mask is achieved by setting the mask to subtract instead of add.

If you are just seeing the black background of the composition panel then you need to enable the transparency grid or put something below the layer with the box.

It's almost impossible to get anything done in After Effects if you don't take a fair amount of time to learn the basics.