5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2009 11:03 PM by syed mehadi

When will there be real 64 bit linux support

meetoblivion
      As the topic questions, when will 64 bit support really be there for air on linux. I'm using fedora 10 64 bit and it just doesn't work. I've checked and I have all of the needed libraries, yet when I run it as root, I get part way through the install process and end up with

Sorry, an error has occurred.

An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator.
        • 1. Re: When will there be real 64 bit linux support
          that_rat
          I'll echo this concern. I've been futilely trying to install Adobe AIR 1.5.1 on Fedora 10 64-BIT. It is bad enough that I had to do a manual install of Firefox 3 32-BIT to get Adobe Flash support [only Flash 9 since Flash 10 keeps crashing?]. Adobe Reader 8 installs just fine via RPM, why can't Adobe AIR work in a similar fashion?
          • 2. Re: When will there be real 64 bit linux support
            Robert Christensen Level 2
            We're planning on adding support for 64-bit on Linux in our next major release. This is very important to us as we do see the number of 64-bit machines in the world increasing -- particularly in the Linux world. It's not a trivial amount of work, but it is an investment we are planning on making.

-Rob
            Product Manager, Adobe AIR
            • 3. Re: When will there be real 64 bit linux support
              that_rat Level 1
              Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. This is very encouraging and I'm looking forward to when the next major release is. Any idea when this might be? I can finally look forward to getting Adobe AIR working in 64-BIT Linux, and hopefully through multiple types of install methods? Like .rpm, .tar.gz, .deb, or yum repository install like what is available for Flash? I know the last bit might be asking too much, but just thought I'd ask.

Thanx!
              • 4. Re: When will there be real 64 bit linux support

I am very glad to hear that support for 64-bit linux is planned.  Thanks for the info.

Currently I am using the Adobe reader (acroread) on Fedora Linux FC10 x86_64 (64-bit) edition on a machine with a quad-core CPU and 8GB of ram.

Having run 64-bit systems for a long time, I have added patches (and patches on patches, and patches on .... infinitum) and can run the Adobe reader for pdf files which do not have text entry enabled.  HOWEVER, as I was recently reminded doing my taxes (using the pdf forms from the irs website), such forms cause the reader to exit immediately and without so much as a simple error message.  (And yes, I expect that I could probably eventually find the right set of generations of additional patches but if a 64-bit version is coming I'll probably wait.)

Is this something that is likely to be fixed by the new release, or is only basic functionality planned in the initial release?

So I guess that my question would more properly be, when you say "... plan to add support," would that be support to the same degree that 32-bit linux systems are currently supported?

(Finally, I'm not trying to sound cynical - I'm just looking for information - thanks.)

• 5. Re: When will there be real 64 bit linux support
                  syed mehadi Level 2

>meetoblivion wrote:

>Sorry, an error has occurred.

>An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator.

This error might be coming on your machine as you don't have xterm installed on it.

Please retry air installation after installing xterm on your fedora 10.

Regards

Syed