6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2016 5:38 AM by JJMack

creation of the model of a collage in a random way

AndreyLarush Level 1

Hi, everybody !

I want to make a script on creation of a collage in 3 options:

1. the number of images is specified, the script itself creates a collage template in a random way.

2. the group of images is specified, the script analyzes proportions and number of images, creates a template for a collage and fills it.

3. the number of images is specified, the script forms a template (most likely was to work with jQuery ?), but the user can change the sizes of any image. Proportions aren't considered here

How of creation of a template random (1-2) and what plug-ins for jQuery can do a flexible marking with changeable sizes (3)?

for example random template :-)

ios - Collage of images with different shapes - Stack Overflow — Opera.jpg

• 2. Re: creation of the model of a collage in a random way
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

1. the number of images is specified, the script itself creates a collage template in a random way.

2. the group of images is specified, the script analyzes proportions and number of images, creates a template for a collage and fills it.

3. the number of images is specified, the script forms a template (most likely was to work with jQuery ?), but the user can change the sizes of any image. Proportions aren't considered here

I do not particularly like random collages like the Shape collage package.  Also, your illustrations  do not look random.  They look well laid out.  You state that script specifies the number of images.  The script must have the images because you state it analyses their aspect ratios  and creates the template. However, you did not note anything about the size the template would be or how images that do not fit well together would be handled.  Or  if you want to handle image file types the may have transparency like PNG and PSD files. where images may have a non-rectangular shape, Then you go on to state that the script user can change the size of any image and even change its aspect ratio.   The script will be interactive.

I feel you may need to give some more thought in designing your script.

You may want to look at my design and my scripts in my Photo Collage ToolKit.  You may get a handle on what needs to be done.

Photo Collage Toolkit

Photoshop scripting is powerful and I believe this package demonstrates this A video showing a 5 image collage PSD template  being populates with images:

The package includes four simple rules to follow when making Photo Collage Template PSD files so they will be compatible with my Photoshop scripts.

1. Size the photo collage templates for the print size you want - width, height and print DPI resolution.
          2. Photo collage templates must have a Photoshop background layer. The contents of this layer can be anything.
          3. Photo collage templates must have alpha channels named "Image 1", "Image 2", ... "Image n".
          4. Photo collage templates layers above the background layers must provide transparent areas to let the images that will be placed below them show through.

There are fourteen scripts in this package they provide the following functions:

1. HelpPhotoCollageToolkit.jsx - Online Help
          2. TestCollageTemplate.jsx - Used to test a Photo Collage Template while you are making it with Photoshop.
          3. CollageTemplateBuilder.jsx - Can build Templates compatible with this toolkit's scripts.
          4. LayerToAlphaChan.jsx - Used to convert a Prototype Image Layer stack into a template document.
          5. InteractivePopulateCollage.jsx - Used to interactively populate Any Photo Collage template. Offers most user control inserting pictures and text.
          6. ReplaceCollageImage.jsx - use to replace a populated collage image Smart Object layer with an other image correctly resized and positioned.
          7. ChangeTextSize.jsx - This script can be used to change Image stamps text size when the size used by the populating did not work well.
          8. PopulateCollageTemplate.jsx - Used to Automatically populate a Photo Collage template and leave the populated copy open in Photoshop.
          9. BatchOneImageCollage.jsx - Used to Automatically Batch Populate Collage templates that only have one image inserted. The Collage or Image may be stamped with text.
          10. BatchMultiImageCollage.jsx - Used to Automatically Batch Populate Any Photo Collage template with images in a source image folder. Easier to use than the interactive script. Saved collages can be tweaked.
          11. PasteImageRoll.jsx - Paste Images into a document to be print on roll paper.
          12. BatchPicturePackage.jsx - Used to Automatically Batch Populate Any Photo Collage template with an image in a source image folder.  Images Rotates for best fit.
          13. BatchPicturePackageNoRotate.jsx - Used to Automatically Batch Populate Any Photo Collage template with an image in a source image folder.
          14. PCTpreferences.jsx - Edit This File to Customize Collage Populating scripts default setting and add your own Layer styles.

Documentation and Examples

• 3. Re: creation of the model of a collage in a random way
            AndreyLarush Level 1

thanks for the answer.

1 Rather practical value - after creation of the template I will load into it images with croping and scaling manually, I found a script on this site.

2 Of course, at creation of a template it is necessary to establish miimalno admissible proportions for rectangles, for example 1/4 - 2/1

3. I now work with jquery the decision on changeable cells from the link given above, but I don't exclude return and to a question of casual generation

• 4. Re: creation of the model of a collage in a random way

AndreyLarush wrote:

thanks for the answer.

1 Rather practical value - after creation of the template I will load into it images with croping and scaling manually, I found a script on this site.

Manually why not script it?

2 Of course, at creation of a template it is necessary to establish miimalno admissible proportions for rectangles, for example 1/4 - 2/1

A collage can have imags any size and shape they need not be rectangles.  The bounss of a image layer is rectangular but the shape of the image layer need not be

3. I now work with jquery the decision on changeable cells from the link given above, but I don't exclude return and to a question of casual generation.

Images can be any size and resolution and may cotain transparency in png image so not be a rectangle. Of course if the images are your you can constrain the images sizes you create.

A script can automatically scale images to fit a collage template and mask it to the image location shape.   A script could easily perform that process then put the script user into an interactive transform on the places  resized, positioned and masked image.  The user is able to adjust the composition of the placed image by changing the current smart object layers associated transform.  Look at my InteractivePopulateCollage script.   A script can populate hundreds of images into a collage template.  Create a batch of collages in a single run of the script.  There are four such scripts in my toolkit.  Because image canvas sizes are rectangles. It is possible to create png Image file the has a wide border area the is transparent.  That can complicate positioning png image.  While this can be addressed in a script I chose not to.  Instead because it is rare I choose the address it in the actual png images by making these png image files have a 1% opacity gray pixel in the top left and bottom right canvas corners. To force the image layer's boundary to be the png file canvas size.

There is also a script in my toolkit that can tile images onto a canvas.  It is designed for printing a particular picture size on roll paper.  The script dialog lets you specify the resolution the paper width and the image tile size as well inter-image spacing and border. You can also specify the length of the roll paper you have. If you select too many images the script will not run but give you a message to that effect.  The script will calculate the length of paper needed from the number of images you select. Create a new document the size required and tile your selected images onto the canvas.

A collage document has one resolution.  Image files may all have different resolutions.

• 5. Re: creation of the model of a collage in a random way
                AndreyLarush Level 1

thanks for the answer.

I want to make a marking of a template but not its filling with images..

• 6. Re: creation of the model of a collage in a random way

Collage template files are normally PSD files that are designed to be populated a particular way,  I have no idea what you mean by "I want to make a marking of a template". 

My toolkit contains two scripts that make template PSD files.  One has a dialog that you specify the layout you want the template to have.  The other script has no dialog it just creates a PSD template that is compatible with my populating script. From a mockup the current document stack of images.

1. CollageTemplateBuilder.jsx - Can build Templates compatible with this toolkit's scripts.
                  2. LayerToAlphaChan.jsx - Used to convert a Prototype Image Layer stack into a template document.

Also, My toolkit has a script to validate  a template your working will work with my populating scripts.

1. TestCollageTemplate.jsx - Used to test a Photo Collage Template while you are making it with Photoshop.