13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 11:27 AM by Szalam

Sound rendering problems

PedroHenriques_PT

Hello,

I am using AAE CS6 and I have an irritating rendering sound problem, rendering a WMV vídeo to AVI.

I have read the forum, I have seen some responses, seen videos, help tutorials, you name, the problem still occurs.

I am using 1080P vídeo captured using a Sony camera. File extension is MTS. (AVCHD)

When I imported AAE only got the vídeo, went googling and came to the conclusing that for whatever reason AAEdoesn't like the MTS extension and to get the sound I had to change the extension to M2TS. Well, I did it, AAE CS6 got the sound that way but not the image. So I solved a problem and got another.

Then I used payed version of AVS Video Converter to convert the MTS file to a M2TS file, instead of changing the extension. Problem is still the same.

So I converted the MTS file into a WMV. This way I got both image and sound. Cool.

Edited the video, zero problems.

When I got the rendering part, renderng to AVI (yes I know I have to go the lossless yada yada) the result is that my sound seems to have hiccups (plays, mutes, plays, mutes). My PC has 16GB of RAM, I have a 740 NVidia card, I have all the latest AAE updates and Nvidia updates. When rendering RAM usage is arround 30-40% so lots of still left RAM to use.

I decided to now install AAE CC15 trial to test if it was a problem with CS6 and the problem is still the same.

What the hell is going on with AEF?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks very much,

Regards,

Peter

• 1. Re: Sound rendering problems
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

FAQ: Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly?

But first of all, you should have converted your video to something lossless to bring it into AE in the first place. CERTAINLY not a WMV.

Also, why not use the Adobe Media Encoder? It would be the best choice. You could make your problematic footage into a QuickTime with the PNG codec. Or, heck QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec - at high quality levels it's NEARLY lossless, but it's certainly a lot better than WMV!

• 2. Re: Sound rendering problems
            PedroHenriques_PT Level 1

Hello Szalam,

And firstly thanks for you reply and suggestions.

Well let me just say in my defense I am not a professional. I am a complete newb in this matter trying to make something out of some footage I captured.

I used AVS Video converter to convert the MTS file to WMV because I tried first to M2TS and AVI both with no results. When I imported the file into AAE CS6 or even CC15 trial I only got the audio, not the video. Don't ask me why. I thought it was updates for some problema with CS6, installed the CC15 fresh and the result is exactly the same so I imagine it has nothing to with updates or my pc but with the original footage and with the way AAE interpets it.

I even sent the whole projet + assets to my father through wetransfer, that has a really good PC to test if it was something related with my PC and no, same result.

So... your suggestion is for me to use Adobe Media Enconder to convert the MTS file into a Quicktime file is tha it? And then use that converted footage in AAE to edit, correct?

Thanks very much,

Regards,

Pedro

• 3. Re: Sound rendering problems

PedroHenriques_PT wrote:

So... your suggestion is for me to use Adobe Media Enconder to convert the MTS file into a Quicktime file is tha it? And then use that converted footage in AAE to edit, correct?

Well, yes, but it depends on what you mean by "edit".

In the industry, editing means cutting shots together to tell a story. This is something you would do in Premiere Pro.

After Effects is used for compositing, visual effects, and motion graphics. Those things are completely separate from editing.

• 4. Re: Sound rendering problems

Well my intention is to make a video of a speaker unboxing, plus some photos and audio to show some differences between audio with and without subwoofer in this case. So I'd better use Premiere? But Premiere I only worked with a LONG time ago. Don't know if I'll be able to get around. Although it isn't completely different from AAE...

• 5. Re: Sound rendering problems
                  Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

PedroHenriques_PT wrote:

Although it isn't completely different from AAE...

Oh, yes it is.

Don't convert.  Bring your MTS files directly into Premiere Pro for better quality.

What is you computer specs, including hard drive setup?

• 6. Re: Sound rendering problems

Well unfortunately I am currently using a laptop, but it isn't all that bad:

It's HP Envy 15-j102sp with a I7 4700MQ, with a NVIDIA 740M 2GB RAM (which I am using for AAE on the nvidia control panel) but I have 16GBM RAM Kingston HyperX not the original 8GB.

• 7. Re: Sound rendering problems

What about hard drives?

• 8. Re: Sound rendering problems

Sorry I forgot, It's standard 1TB 5200rpm... yes I know :/

I am currently waiting and in process of building a new desktop

But I've already used AAE to work with other vídeos from a gopro, the difference was didn't use original sound, instead I used mp3 files.

And that worked really well.

But for the purpose if this vídeo I really need to use the original recorded sound.

• 9. Re: Sound rendering problems

You will have a hard time running Premiere Pro with only one 5400 RPM drive.   Have you considered Premiere Elements?  That should run fine on that computer.

• 10. Re: Sound rendering problems

Haven't considered since I don't have it... but well... there is always a way...

Never worked with it though.

• 11. Re: Sound rendering problems

A lot of similarity to Premiere Pro.  The biggest difference is that there is only one timeline (no sequences) per project.

• 12. Re: Sound rendering problems

OK, I will try and give it a look thanks.

I've marked Szalam response as correct since it explains why I am having these problems althought it doesn't really solve my problem. But I understand that in a way I am causing the problem working these files this way right?

• 13. Re: Sound rendering problems

PedroHenriques_PT wrote:

Well my intention is to make a video of a speaker unboxing, plus some photos and audio to show some differences between audio with and without subwoofer in this case. So I'd better use Premiere?

Premiere sounds like the better way to go compared to AE for sure. AE isn't meant for that kind of thing.