5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2016 8:24 PM by Jao vdL

Shortcut to reconcile Photos and LR?

betsyc51236837

When I updated my mac to the new operating system it got rid of iPhoto and replaced it with Photos; subsequently, LR no longer recognizes my photos.  I now have to go in and search for each photo.  Does anyone know a shortcut to reconcile Photos and LR?  I have 8000 pics in LR and I do not want to have to locate each one.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Shortcut to reconcile Photos and LR?
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi betsyc,

When you was using iPhoto prior to Photos,You must have used the import plugin to import your images to Lightroom and all your images should have been stored somewhere on your machine out of iPhotos. therefor upgrading the OS Or Photo gallery shouldn't create any issue.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 2. Re: Shortcut to reconcile Photos and LR?
            Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So you didnt copy the images into a new location when you added them from iPhoto to lightroom? You selected add? If that's the case and images were all referenced from Lightroom into your iPhoto Library, you might be able to take the top level folder in the iPhoto Library (which no longer exists after you upgrade) as you see it in Lightroom and relink it to the similar location in the Photos library file. It is unlikely that they retained the same folder structure though so this might not work. This is not easy to do if this is what happens as Apple hides the fact that the libraries are actually folders. You can peer into these folders by control (or right) clicking on them and selecting "show package contents".

• 3. Re: Shortcut to reconcile Photos and LR?
              betsyc51236837 Level 1

I did not import them correctly . . . I brought them into LR from iPhoto.

• 4. Re: Shortcut to reconcile Photos and LR?
                Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

If you have done not much editing on the images, then you can simply create new catalog in Lightroom and import all the images to Lightroom.

For creating new catalog >> Open Lightroom >>File Menu >> New

For Importing images from iPhoto to Lightroom >> Go to File Menu >> Plugins Extra's >> Import form iPhoto Library.

Refer: How to transfer photos from iPhoto or Aperture to Photoshop Lightroom (Mac OS)

Regards,

~Mohit

• 5. Re: Shortcut to reconcile Photos and LR?
                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can probably just relink them. Look in the folders area left in your Lightroom catalog while you have selected a picture you used to have in iPhoto. What does it show for the folder hierarchy? It will probably say something like iPhoto Library.photo or something like that and it will have a question mark on it. Right (or control click) on this and select "update folder location". Now simply select the new Photos Library that is in your Pictures folder (the default location) and if you're lucky all your images will relink.