9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 6:25 PM by ssprengel

lightroom stitching panoramas sideways

thentg

After the last update I tried to create a panorama, it created it sideways. Not too big a deal as you can just rotate the final pano but annoying still, why would I want a sideways pano?. Any fix for this?2016-02-01 00_04_56-New notification.jpg

• 1. Re: lightroom stitching panoramas sideways
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi thentg,

Is it doing is all layouts..? have tried creating another panorama with different set of images.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 2. Re: lightroom stitching panoramas sideways
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tries leaving off auto crop. Just use the Boundary Warp Slider before merge.

• 3. Re: lightroom stitching panoramas sideways
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Adobe thought they fixed this in CC 2015.4 / 6.4: "Vertical panoramas created using Merge could appear with the wrong orientation".   Please post a bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum: Photoshop Lightroom | Photoshop Family Customer Community.  (Adobe product developers actively participate there; only first-line support participates here.)   Your bug report is more likely to be acted upon if you upload sample pics to Dropbox (or similar) and include detailed step-by-step instructions for reproducing the problem.

• 4. Re: lightroom stitching panoramas sideways
                99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's working OK for me in CC 2015.4 using DNG files from CR2. Is this something written into NEF's?

• 5. Re: lightroom stitching panoramas sideways
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My reading of the bugfix is that panoramas of vertical objects--flag-pole, tree, tall building, were stitched as if they are horizontal objects.  You're issue is exactly the opposite--a horizontal object is stitched as if it's vertical object, so perhaps something about the fix for vertical panoramas has tried too hard and is mistakenly deciding yours was supposed to be a vertical object as well.

I have tried several horizontal panoramas with vertical source images and they all work ok in LR 2015.4  There is probably something either with these files' metadata or the image content that causes the misorientation.

Cloud images routinely have issues because the clouds actually move relative to the ground from one to the next and I could see an algorithm being confused about what the actual orientation is if it's computing from the image data instead of just looking at the orientation flag, or perhaps the orientation flag isn't being used for some other reason.

Please upload these images to a folder at www.dropbox.com and post a public share link to them.  It is ok that the resulting download is 100s of MB.

If you decide to post over on the feedback forum, please include a link to that message thread in a message, here.

Something else to try is if you stitch just two of the images is the result also the wrong orientation?  And is it every adjacent pair or just some?

• 6. Re: lightroom stitching panoramas sideways
                    wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Just a thought-

How is you Nikon set for "Auto Image Rotation"? (in the camera menus)

• 7. Re: lightroom stitching panoramas sideways
                      thentg Level 1

Thanks everyone for your input! I do not set my camera to autorotate, I rotate the pictures in Lightroom then crate the pano. I went back to my older panos that I created from vertical source images that I had to rotate and it's now creating them sideways as well. Before this update it would create them correctly - horizontal. That leads me to believe the update is what is causing this. I did try just stitching 2 or 3 of the pics together and still no go. Also created a pano from horizontal images that I took and it creates them correctly. I tried rotating them back to vertical just out of curiosity and it creates the pano sideways as well. I've also turned off the autocrop and no luck I have tried create pano in Photoshop and Photoshop creates them correctly - horizontal. Johnrellis and ssprengel I believe you are correct that issue may have had the reverse effect on mine for some weird reason. I'll try to get this reported as a bug and pics uploaded to box over the next day or two. Again, thank you everyone for your help!  -Nathan

• 8. Re: lightroom stitching panoramas sideways

So you're reporting that LR's Merge to Pano function uses the image-orientation flag put into the raw file by the camera but ignores any LR rotation specification.  That could be as designed or could be a bug.  When you provide example images, please provide one set that works due to the image-orientation flag being set in camera and one set that doesn't because you had to rotate them in LR.   You also don't need to provide more than two or three images to demonstrate the issue.

• 9. Re: lightroom stitching panoramas sideways

After some more research, apparently this is already a known issue so no need to post any files or anything.