4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2016 10:33 AM by samm64132119

remove default security method

I used Acrobat X Pro to add a password to a PDF I created last week when saving from Microsoft Excel.  This worked fine, and the PDF required the password to open after that.

Now,  the same password is applied to every PDF I create, which isn't what I wanted.   I can save the PDF I create, open it up again (with the password) and change the "Default Security Method" to "None" and re-save it as a temporary work-around, but really, I just want to change the default security method for every document so this stops happening.  I'm not sure how I got it set this way, and can't seem to undo it anywhere that I can find.

Can anyone tell me how to reset my default security method to "none" for all future documents?

• 1. Re: remove default security method
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

There are many ways to make a PDF, and no one solution would fit all of them. So... how EXACTLY do you make a new PDF (what do you click or choose, step by step)? How did you FIRST set the security for the file you were making?

• 2. Re: remove default security method
            IsakTen Level 4

AFAIK Acrobat does not remember PDF passwords internally, unless you are using Actions to secure a batch of PDFs with the same password. But for that you'll have to create an action and then execute it. It is not something that comes per-installed.

• 3. Re: remove default security method
              samm64132119 Level 1

As stated, "when saving from Microsoft Excel."

So, I am in Excel, and I choose "Save as PDF" to save the worksheet I am in to a PDF File.  I've been doing this for years.  I choose "save as PDF", the PDF is created, then immediately opens.

Only recently, after specifically creating a PDF (I'll call it "PDF A") that I *did* want secured with a password, do I now encounter that every file I save as a PDF is now requiring a password... the same password I used for "PDF A".

I set the security on the "PDF A" using the Encrypt > Encrypt with Password option:

I just can't find any way to prevent this from happening on new PDFs I create.  They all end up being encrypted with the password I used for "PDF A" .

• 4. Re: remove default security method
                samm64132119 Level 1

Update to anyone reading this. I figured out what happened.

The problem originated in Excel / Office  and not in Adobe Acrobat directly, where I was looking. 

The password was being saved in the Acrobat PDFMaker add-in for Excel (probably any office document) so each time I saved a new file, the password setting was being applied.

To replicate this, go to the Acrobat Tab > Preferences > Security Tab  and check the box for "Require a password to open the document" and enter a password.

This preference is sticky, and will be applied to *all* future documents in this office product, until you go in and disable the password requirement by unchecking the box.