3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 12:03 PM by Szalam

Series of Videos with similar files as assets. Need help.

VMS studio Level 1

Don't know how to put this. I need to create 17 how-to videos. The assets are mostly the same, however the audio track is going to be different for each one.

Is there a way to create a single AE comp that will automatically rename the comps, or pull compname from text, or pull text from compname?

Is there also a way to have placeholder file that will look for the file in a folder? (say assets>audio>VO folder where every AE project will have its own folder and only have one audio track in the VO folder).

If all these are too far fetched, is there a possibility to create a folder and assign a real folder path where AE automatically finds newly added files and imports into the project media section?

Cheers, this is a tough one to explain so A. I'm open to your suggestions, B. I'm happy to elaborate whatever needs to be elaborated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Series of Videos with similar files as assets. Need help.
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are creating 17 how to videos and they are longer than just a few seconds you probably want to do most of the work in Premiere Pro. AE is designed to create shots or short sequences and it's a lousy editing cool. Use Abfter Effects for only the things you cannot do in Premiere. 

Neither of these apps require or change the assets you use the projects. You're spending a lot of time worrying about something that is going to be an extremely small part of your production workflow.

• 2. Re: Series of Videos with similar files as assets. Need help.
            VMS studio Level 1

Thanks Rick for the response but that wasn't what I was looking for. All the how to videos are motion graphics based so Premiere Pro won't really integrate into the workflow whatsoever as whatever I'll need to do Premiere Pro can't do.

I still am looking for the question I asked in the 4th paragraph as it's something I've always looked for for the past few years of full tiem AE work. Would help a lot

• 3. Re: Series of Videos with similar files as assets. Need help.
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

VMS studio wrote:

Is there also a way to have placeholder file that will look for the file in a folder? (say assets>audio>VO folder where every AE project will have its own folder and only have one audio track in the VO folder).

Kind of.

If I have a project, say, for example, a slideshow, and I want AE to replace all of the pictures. I'll just rename the folder in which the pictures are stored. Then, when AE goes "HEY! Missing files!" I just point one of them to the newly created folder and all the rest of them find their way automatically.