13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 12:40 PM by robshaw79

Lightroom edits

robshaw79

Hi everyone,

sometime ago and moved my LR catalogue to an external hard drive to free up space on my mac. When I now go into LR and access the external hard drive all the original pictures are present but the edited versions are not. Any help/advise is much appreciated.

Regards,

Rob

• 1. Re: Lightroom edits
          dj_paige Level 9

Sounds like you imported the photos into the catalog after the move. Is that what you did?

• 2. Re: Lightroom edits
            robshaw79 Level 1

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Im new to LR!!  In LR I went to folders, went to my 500gb ext hard drive, and then chose the LR folder containing all 2'489 photos.

• 3. Re: Lightroom edits
              dj_paige Level 9

I'm sorry, there are a few details from your description that are missing or unclear.

When you say you moved your LR catalog to an external HD, please describe all the steps you used to do this, making clear whether you did this in Lightroom or your operating system, and using the exact Lightroom or operating system name of the step.

• 4. Re: Lightroom edits
                robshaw79 Level 1

ok, on my mac I went to the picture folder on my hard drive which contains the LR folder. This folder contains all the sub folders of different projects I've worked on. I basically clicked and dragged this LR folder into my external hard drive. I then deleted the LR folder on my macs hard drive. When I now open LR i go to the folders section and click the + tab to create a new folder. From here I add a new folder and find my external hard drive with the LR folder with all the sub folders contained. When I choose this it then transfers the 2000 or so photos in all their correct sub folders etc but they just seem to be missing all the edits I have ever done. Hope this makes sense.

Rob

• 5. Re: Lightroom edits
                  dj_paige Level 9

Since I have never done it this way, I assume you have imported or synchronized the new folders somehow (but it's still not clear to me exactly what you did, probably because I have never done it this way), and that is why you have no edits.

Please look in your Lightroom Folder Panel. Are the folders on the original drive still listed there? If so, what happens if you select one of these photos on the original drive? Do the photos appear in the Grid, with the edits?

• 6. Re: Lightroom edits
                    robshaw79 Level 1

No, the folders on the original drive aren't there as i transferred them to the external hard drive and then deleted them on the original drive.

• 7. Re: Lightroom edits
                      dj_paige Level 9

I am requesting you look in Lightroom for the folders on the original drive, not in your operating system.

• 8. Re: Lightroom edits
                        robshaw79 Level 1

sorry, how do I do that?

• 9. Re: Lightroom edits
                          dj_paige Level 9

In the Lightroom Library Module, on the left, is the Folder panel. Open this panel, and look for the folders under the original disk. If the folders are there on the original disk, please click on one of the folders to see if it shows you thumbnails of your photos with edits.

• 10. Re: Lightroom edits
                            robshaw79 Level 1

No, there are no folders on the original disk

• 11. Re: Lightroom edits
                              dj_paige Level 9

Do you have a backup of your catalog file from before this move happened?

• 12. Re: Lightroom edits
                                robshaw79 Level 1

I'm not sure. Where would it be located and titled?

• 13. Re: Lightroom edits
                                  robshaw79 Level 1

I think I've done it. After you mentioned catalog file I went into the LR folder and there are several folders titled 'lightroom 4 catalog.Ircat'

I clicked on this and it asked if I wanted to open LR with this catalog......It worked!!!  Thanks for all your help and advice. If you hadn't mentioned that catalog file I wouldn't  have checked it.

Thanks again!!

Rob