3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 11:23 AM by ceilr

transparent lines fading more over object

ceilr Level 1

I am running CS5 and am having the same problem in both InDesign Illustrator.

I imported a b&w drawing from Illustrator to ID and then drew a grey X over it to "cross it out."  The X looks fine on the screen (see below), but when I print (and the document it is part of will be printed ), the part of the drawing that has a gradiant on it fades those parts of the X that are on top of it.  Other parts of the drawing that don't have the gradiant look fine.

Screenshot 2016-02-01 09.41.05.png

I have tried drawing the X in the Illustrator file but after placing in ID, I get the same fading.  Then I created a new layer in ID and placed the X on that layer.  It still fades over the gradiant.

I made sure that the X is on top of the illustration, not under it.  As I had made the Color palette setting for the X to 60%, I changed it to 100% to let the transparency dialog box do all the work.  It still fades.

Hopefully there is some trick out there, because I have tried everything I can think of to work around this.

Fwiw, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, and printed copies of this drawing when running on both systems printed the fading.  I didn't notice this until today.

Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: transparent lines fading more over object
          ceilr Level 1

I just now printed the above post to see what the screenshot would do with the X.  (Sorry, couldn't edit the post.)  Save your trees: the X is consistent in grayscale!  Maybe that's a clue?  Should I dump this illustration in Fireworks or something and then import it to ID?

• 2. Re: transparent lines fading more over object
            Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

Make sure the document color space and everything you place as art in the document have the same colorspace. Look at InDesign's Edit menu > Transparency Blend Space and make sure you choose either RGB or CMYK and that placed graphics are the same sort of color model.

• 3. Re: transparent lines fading more over object
              ceilr Level 1

I changed the Illustrator drawing, with X over it, to CMYK, as that is what's used in the ID doc.  The X shade over the gradiant is darker than it was before, but still not the same shade as the rest of the X.  I can probably live with this(don't know about my readers!), but wonder if there is anything else I can try?

I just now thought to print the drawing from Illustrator, and the grayscale contrast in the X is showing up there.  I will go to the Illustrator forum and see if someone there has any more ideas.  I'll post links here to anything more that I find over there.  Thank you.