5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2016 7:06 AM by Ann Bens

HowTo: PE14.1 / Burning to DVD/BluRay for PAL Format

HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

PE14.1 on a WIN7 PC....

Two questions...

Now that PE14.1 can succesfully burn to BluRay (which PE 13.1 failed to do, at least for me) I'm experiencing the changes

from PE 13.1 "Publish+Share" to PE 14.1 "Export+Share".

I have a number of videos created from a Panasonic HC-V727 HD camcorder.

PAL selected when recording.  Frame size is 1920 * 1080.

With PE 13.1 the various "Publish+Share" options had a list for NTSC format & similar list for PAL.

With PE 14.1 I don't see PAL mentioned anywhere (I'm looking to burn for DVD & BluRay both to the device & to ISO files).

Q1: Does PE 14.1 automatically detect that the raw video clips are PAL & thus create the correct output format?

I am interested in placing several smaller videos onto a single DVD or BluRay disc.

For PE 13.1 ATR suggested outputting each video as AVCHD.mp4 files, then creating a new project, adding these AVCHD files to the timeline

and burning that (worked for DVD).

Q2: Is this also a suggested method with PE14.1 & what options should be used when creating the AVCHD.mp4 files so that good BluRay quality is

seen when burnt to a BluRay disc?

• 1. Re: HowTo: PE14.1 / Burning to DVD/BluRay for PAL Format
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Q1: Does PE 14.1 automatically detect that the raw video clips are PAL & thus create the correct output format?

First you choose the media carrier: dvd, bluray or avchd disk

Then you set the resolution

Format is set automatically for the chosen disk.

Is left the framerate: PAL is 25 (you are in Germany?)

Then you set type: disk or iso

Thats about it.

Q2: Is this also a suggested method with PE14.1 & what options should be used when creating the AVCHD.mp4 files so that good BluRay quality is

seen when burnt to a BluRay disc?

There is no such format as avchd.mp4. Somebody made that up.

Avchd is a format that is compatible with Bluray is comes in mts or m2ts.

mp4 is H.264

If you have your movie scattered over different projects then yes you need to export them first, put them in a new project and burn to disk.

But there is a disadvantage in doing that, your files get encoded twice (well they do in Elements). Could mean image quality loss.

I will finish this conversation after I gathered some technical info on Elements first (my main program is Premiere Pro, and Elements does work different in some areas)

• 2. Re: HowTo: PE14.1 / Burning to DVD/BluRay for PAL Format
            HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

Re Q1: The "secret" is that one has to know that PAL has Frame Rate=25!  Wasn't obvious to me

Thus the setting look like this:

PE14-BluRay.jpg

Re Q2: I understand what you mean about possible resolution reduction (which might not be noticeable on a DVD which was what I tried with PE13.1 in December).

Sometimes one has a number of 5-minute videos & just one per BluRay disk is a bit of a waste.

What one needs is some BluRay authoring software but they all cost money.  Now if PE 14.x would allow multiple projects to be imported into the timeline....

• 3. Re: HowTo: PE14.1 / Burning to DVD/BluRay for PAL Format

Am i correct to think you are an American living in Germany?

Do you have a pal or ntsc camera?

• 4. Re: HowTo: PE14.1 / Burning to DVD/BluRay for PAL Format
                HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

British citizen living in Germany, currently working for a large global (=US) IT company.

I use a Panasonic HC-V727 HD camcorder that is set up for PAL.

• 5. Re: HowTo: PE14.1 / Burning to DVD/BluRay for PAL Format

Well this half British citizen lives next door; Holland.

OK then 'problem solved' I was thinking you might be American who might be facing pal-ntsc issue.

The USA vacation threw me off.