19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2016 3:38 PM by carolt62674260

Check Activation Error

SMB090114

When I try to download an e-book, I get this message: "Error.  Check Activation", and the e-book is not loaded into my library.   I'm running on Windows 10.  How do I resolve?

• 1. Re: Check Activation Error
          Nanaky Level 5
          1. Close all applications.
          2. Choose Start > Run.
          3. In the Open text box, type regedit and then press Enter. The Registry Editor opens.
          4. In the left pane of the Registry Editor, locate the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adept
          5. Select the Adept key.
          6. Choose File > Export.
          7. In the Export Registry File dialog box, select Selected Branch under Export Range. Enter a name and location for the backup registry key, and then click Save.
          8. Right-click the Adept key and choose Delete.
          9. In the Confirm Key Delete dialog, click OK.
          10. Close the Registry Editor.
          11. Open Adobe Digital Editions and reauthorize.
          3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Check Activation Error
            territ67686347

Thank you for this.  I tried to go through the steps you gave, but when I got to #5, there is no adept key.  I located the registry key.  I see export, but you have that I need to select the adept key first.  I don't see that anywhere.  Can you please help with this?  I can't seem to find anyone that can help me.  Thank you.

• 3. Re: Check Activation Error
              Nanaky Level 5

You login with the user who has authorize Digital Edition?

• 4. Re: Check Activation Error
                territ115

First of all, I started out with a different problem.  The person I talked to at my local library told me to uninstall my older version of Digital Editions and install the newest version, 4.5.2.  After I did that is when I got the "error:  check activation message".  I don't remember getting a message telling me to activate anything.  When I try to un-authorize my computer, it won't let me. I get a message saying "unable to erase authorization.  Try again after some time".  I've gotten this message every day now since Saturday.  The email address that is authorized is one that I use, but it's not the one that I used to set up my account in Adobe.  I don't know if that's my problem.  I don't know how to change that on my computer.  I wrote to Adobe to change the email address there, they said it would take 10 days to cancel the one account and change the email address.

As I said before, when I tried your instructions, when I got to #5, there is no adept key.  I located the registry key, but I saw nothing that said adept.

I hope this made some sense.

Terri

• 5. Re: Check Activation Error
                  carolt62674260

I have been getting Error!Check Activation messages as well. I am running on Windows 7 and trying to download from the New York Public Library system. I am going around in circles as well. I also tried deactivating the authorization but it's not working. the chat room sent me here to the forum and I am very frustrated like all of you. The library works throught Overdrive.com Up until yesterday I was using ADE 4.0 and I tried downloading but had major other error issues. So, stupidly, I uninstalled my older version of ADE.

Any advice. carolt62674260

• 6. Re: Check Activation Error
                    briank99751229 Level 1

Similar problem.  My library switched from epub files to ASCM files and ADE 3.0 would not even see them.  I too downloaded ADE 4.5.2.  I went through the registry editing steps because I could not DE-authorize the account until I did so (option greyed out).  After deleting registry key I could de-authorize but now cannot re-authorize.  Software says it cannot connect to "activation server" and I am not online.  Duh, how do they think I am posting this?

The Chat people just pass the buck here with no assistance.

As you can see they have not addressed thsi issue in the forums

I called Adobe and got tech support on the phone - they cannot help because it is "a free product" ignoring the $$$ they earn from the libraries who license and use ADE.

What a terrible and irresponsible system and company!!!

• 7. Re: Check Activation Error
                      Guernseycove

I am having exactly the same problem as everyone else. I am very frustrated and have no book to read which makes things even worst. I can't find the adept key either. Help! Help! 

• 8. Re: Check Activation Error
                        Nanaky Level 5

You search the adept key with the user how get the issue?

• 9. Re: Check Activation Error
                          territ115 Level 1

I don't understand your question.

• 10. Re: Check Activation Error
                            Nanaky Level 5

If you check the registry for the key with the user which has authorize Digital Edition the first?

• 11. Re: Check Activation Error
                              leenorab23579628

I was also getting Error Check activation message. Went through all the steps above & reregistered. Thought my problems were solved until I tried to click & drop a book from the library into ADE.(I have had several Nooks over the years & this has never been a problem. I have Probably borrowed 900 books from the public library) Now I"m getting an error "E_License Already fulfilled by another user"  What next? Any solutions appreciated!

• 12. Re: Check Activation Error
                                Nanaky Level 5

Then is your eBook linked with the wrong authoirze of the first try. You can not change the linked adobe id. You need a new download which can new linked.

• 13. Re: Check Activation Error
                                  leenorab23579628 Level 1

The adept key is actually a sub file under the adobe file. Hope that helps. I was able to do that, but now I have a different problem!

• 14. Re: Check Activation Error
                                    territ115 Level 1

My Nook has always been registered with a different email address than the adobe address.  I've never had a problem before.  I've downloaded hundreds of books to my nook.  I don't understand why I'm getting this error now.  I haven't changed anything.

• 15. Re: Check Activation Error
                                      Nanaky Level 5

The error say that the ebook linked with other adobe ID. If you have not used a other adobe id that have used a emptry authoirze.

• 16. Re: Check Activation Error
                                        carolt62674260 Level 1

Hey guys I found an answer to all our problems. I downloaded Adobed Digital Editions 3.0. I am using Windows 7. I didn't uninstall ADE 4.5.2 yet but I probably will. ADE 3 is working fine with Overdrive from New York Public Library and I was able to transfer the downloaded books into my NOOK. It's an old black and white ereader. So now I'm happy after spending over 8 hours trying to activate the ADE 4.5.2 version. Overdrive did try to help but I had already tried what they had suggested as many of you have done too and it didn't work. Good luck.

• 17. Re: Check Activation Error
                                          territ115 Level 1

So all you did was install ADE 3.0?  I have an old Nook also.  I installed ADE 4.5.2 and it didn't change anything.  I don't know what version I had before.

• 18. Re: Check Activation Error
                                            carolt62674260 Level 1

Hi, That's all I did. I went to search area on Adobe and downloaded Adobe Digital Editions 3 and I left ADE4.5.2 on the computer. ADE 3 is the default program and from the NYC Public Library they use Overdrive. I was able to download the books I wanted. Took less than 5 minutes. Hope it works for you.

• 19. Re: Check Activation Error
                                              territ115 Level 1

You got it!  I uninstalled ADE 4.5.2 and installed 3.0 and I was able to download books again.  Thank you!