4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2016 7:39 AM by Steve Werner

Set arrow keys to send backward

slice4444

I have a Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and a Mac Mini OS X 10.9.5... I used to have my up and down arrow keys set to "send backward" or "bring forward" but it somehow got set back to the default settings where it just moves things up and down. I'm pretty sure the arrows worked this way for all adobe programs so I'm confident that I didn't set them to do this in all my individual programs. I can'tt remember how I did it but this was a very convenient feature so that when I have a lot of layers I don't have to keep going to object>arrange>send backward (or bring forward). Can someone please tell me how to reprogram these keys? I looked at Apple Menu>system Preferences>Keyboard - and those arrow keys aren't listed. I also tried Apple Menu>System Preferences>Microsoft Keyboard. I'm assuming this is the way to do it but I can't figure out how.

• 1. Re: Set arrow keys to send backward
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can't set keyboard shortcuts in InDesign except within InDesign.

Go to Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts. You need create a New Set from the Set menu (you can't modify the default). Go to Product Area: Object Menu > Arrange > Send Backwards [or the other commands] and enter your keystroke. You might want to add a modifier key like Command + Down Arrow, or you're replacing your ability to nudge objects with the Down Arrow.

• 2. Re: Set arrow keys to send backward
            slice4444 Level 1

Thank you! That worked Great! I don't mind not being able to nudge things since I can move things manually. My side arrows don't nudge sideways either because they are set to move from my desktop screen to widget screens.... That was done in my system preferences.

You say that this is the only way to program those keys but I am certain that I had them programmed to do just that before, outside of the InDesign program because I'm pretty sure the sending backwards / bringing forward function worked in all my art programs and I am positive I didn't program all my art programs to do that. As a matter of fact I am almost certain that however I did program those keys, it wasn't the way you just explained...

But this is perfect. Thank you! I really don't care about the other programs anyway.

• 3. Re: Set arrow keys to send backward
              slice4444 Level 1

Hey I have another question for you since you were so great at answering my last one... How do I get the control bar (the header menu) to be attached to the page?  Right now it's detached and I am used to it the other way and prefer it that way. Thanks!

• 4. Re: Set arrow keys to send backward
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to the Control panel menu and choose Dock at Top instead of Floating.