2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2016 6:41 PM by merklemay

PageMaker 7 sizes vs. Indesign CS ver.3 sizes

merklemay

I created a newsletter in PageMaker 7 and want to recreate it in InDesign CS ver. 3, but the fonts, character spaces etc are considerable smaller in InDesign. Ex. size 12 is more like an 8. Why and is there a universal fix? Thanks

• 1. Re: PageMaker 7 sizes vs. Indesign CS ver.3 sizes
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Font size is font size, no matter what the application. Different fonts of the same size may use more or less of the type height slug (due to differences in cap height, x height and ascender and descender lengths, but for any particular font, if you specify a size and leading it will remain constant. I suspect the apparent size difference is either you have changed fonts (even changing versions of the same face may have some differences), or more likely, a different zoom level and or page size.

Pagemaker and ID handle typography very differently, however, especially in how tight/loose the type is set, so you should not expect a complete match.

• 2. Re: PageMaker 7 sizes vs. Indesign CS ver.3 sizes
            merklemay Level 1

Thanks Peter

Was hoping for a quick fix, but will deal with what I have to work with. I'm  just going to have to make the necessary tedious adjustments. Thanks again