7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2016 4:52 AM by BobLevine

Update InDesign CS6

ApplePiDesign

I need to update my InDesign CS6 so I can open CC2014 files, but the update is greyed out under the Help Menu? Where can I find the update?

• 1. Re: Update InDesign CS6
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no update from InDesign CS6 to CC 2014. CS6 is a dead end. It's almost four years old.

CC 2014 and CC 2015 (the latest) require subscribing to the Creative Cloud, or to InDesign CC.

• 2. Re: Update InDesign CS6
            ApplePiDesign Level 1

I realise that you can not update to CC, but Indesign Secrets stated that you can upgrade CS6 to version 8.1 or 8.2 which will then import a CC file into CS6. I love Adobe, but after spending Over 2000 dollars on the Creative Suite, I find that moving to a subscription system undesirable. One day i will have to, but so far CS6 can do what I need it to do very well.

• 3. Re: Update InDesign CS6
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're misinterpeting the information.

The perpetual license version of InDesign CS6, which you have, cannot be upgraded to 8.2.

If you have a Creative Cloud subscription, in addition to giving you access to the latest version, CC 2015, you can download InDesign CS6, upgraded to the 8.2 version, so it can work with the Creative Cloud software.

If CS6 is working for you, go for it!

• 4. Re: Update InDesign CS6
                ApplePiDesign Level 1

Thanks Steve I've got it now.

I think it sucks though! If I am going to get a CC Subscription I would just use the latest version, as I would imagine most people would, What is the point of putting an upgrade to CS6 so only CC subscribers can access it.

• 5. Re: Update InDesign CS6
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It's simply and ease of use thing for CC subscribers who haven't upgraded their operating systems or need to run plugins that are not compatible with later versions.

• 6. Re: Update InDesign CS6
                    Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

The point surely is to sell subscriptions. CS6 is already out of support and I suspect will soon be out of time on new systems.

• 7. Re: Update InDesign CS6
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

From what I see here, it's time is already up for Mac users. Windows is a bit of a hit or miss; even though technically unsupported I'd say you have a far better chance at running older versions on Windows 10 than on El Capitan.

I've still got CS6 installed here. Used it a couple time to convert PM files. No issues with that and you can also try compatibility mode on Windows.