4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2016 2:33 AM by Rick Gerard

Frame length missing last frame

sigh-bear

Just updated to latest AE and I have a composition with a length of 223 frames but the last frame I can get to on the timeline is 222 and exporting gives me 222 frames. While rendering, on the render panel, the progress bar says 00222 (223).

Am I supposed to +1 my frame counts? I don't see how this helps me and it is very confusing. Is there a setting to make a frame length of a comp be the actual number of frames I will export?

• 1. Re: Frame length missing last frame
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is a common misunderstanding. The first frame is zero, not one so the total number of frames is correct. The only thing that's wrong is that you failed to consider that a frame has a duration.  The standard what are you counting time and frames in film and video has always been to start with zero because that makes sense. No time has passed until you have seen the first frame.

If you're talking hours minutes and seconds and your composition is 10 seconds long and 30  frames per second then the last frame of the video would be 00:00:09:29. Most newcomers fail to consider that the last frame will play for an additional 30th of a second so the total length of the video would actually be 10 seconds. There should be no frame satrting to play at ten seconds because that would make the video one frame too long.

• 2. Re: Frame length missing last frame
            sigh-bear Level 1

Ok so the start frame for the comp was 0000 and thus my frame numbering was shifted but 223 frames were exported. So my question becomes how to set the default comp start frame to be 0001.

• 3. Re: Frame length missing last frame
              sigh-bear Level 1

I figured the frame count bit out as you replied. Thanks Rick for the explanation as that makes sense.

The frames coming out of my 3D package start at 1 so I would like to keep it all in sync if possible. I know I can change the start frame per comp but I've already got 30 or so comps that need adjusting so hoping there is a default setting.

• 4. Re: Frame length missing last frame
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you intend to collaborate on a project I wouldn't do that because it is not standard. Properly counting time and using timecode is extremely important if you are doing any work for broadcast.

You can set the comp start frame number in the composition settings, but it's not a good idea to use anything but the source footage time code or zero for time or frame numbers. AE, Premiere Pro, Final Cut, Avid, even linear editors (editing machines) all start at zero because zero time has past until the playhead moves. A better idea is to set the comp to use the timecode or frame number of your source footage. Then frame numbers will match automatically. You start with the project settings:

Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 2.29.16 AM.png

Then you check file interpretation in the Project Panel:

Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 2.27.43 AM.png

So when you create a comp from the footage you get the frame numbers exactly as they were rendered. Nobody is confused.

Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 2.30.58 AM.png

If you start a new C4D project inside AE the frame numbers start at zero:

Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 2.09.32 AM.png

you should be using timecode in your 3D app and matching that timecode to any footage you are using. If the project is longer than just couple of shots you should also set up the same kind of scene and take numbering system used on a professional set so you can keep track of things.