2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2016 7:37 AM by goetz1953

DNG, Crash, recover from NEF

goetz1953

The hard disk with the DNG files I work on with LR crashed. I have a back up of the original files as NEF. I am currently converting the NEF files to DNG. I am not sure whether I wrote all the developments to the DNG files. What do I need to do get the newly created DNG files into LR and keep the original developments.

My assumption would be to work via find the missing files. And I would be fine as the original developments are save in .lrcat regardless whether or not I wrote them to the destroyed DNG files.

Question: Is my assumption correct?

• 1. Re: DNG, Crash, recover from NEF
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi goetz,

My assumption would be to work via find the missing files. And I would be fine as the original developments are save in .lrcat regardless whether or not I wrote them to the destroyed DNG files.

If the Dng files are showing missing in Lightroom, Your assumption should work when you will relocate them in Lightroom.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: DNG, Crash, recover from NEF
            goetz1953 Level 1

Hi Akash,

Thank you for giving me the necessary confidence that my approach will work

Given the number of pictures it is still a lot of work, but it works.

One take away is to have the same folder structure (and names!) in your active directory as well as the back up. Here Adobe could support by have the same approach for the secondary copies as for the folder one imports the "originals" to.

Regards

Goetz