5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2016 7:46 AM by MobileDeveloperCK

Can't open up PDFs from my email [iOS]

SFCHOWG

I am trying to open up a PDF from my email that I can open on the computer but it will not let me read it on here why?

I Need to get this done so I can use my iPad for all of my military work please help.

• 1. Re: Can't open up PDFs from my email
          sukritd15 Adobe Employee

Hi ,

What product do you work on?

Reader or Acrobat?

Also tell the OS and email client you work on.

Have you downloaded the PDF or trying to preview it?

What kind of file it is?

Regards

Sukrit Dhingra

• 2. Re: Can't open up PDFs from my email
            SFCHOWG Level 1

i am using reader with creat on my iPad

tthe files are PDF version 1.7 Adobe extension level 8

i need to open it but it won't allow me to preview or anything

• 3. Re: Can't open up PDFs from my email
              sukritd15 Adobe Employee

Hi ,

It looks like it has been optimized for a particular Reader/Acrobat version and that is the reason you are unable to view PDF'.

Please connect with the sender and request him to optimize it accordingly.

Regards

Sukrit Dhingra

• 4. Re: Can't open up PDFs from my email
                ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't think this is a version thing. At least not the pdf version (1.7). Newer versions of Reader can easily open up pdf files saved as older versions.

Can you give a little more detail as to exactly what is happening?

What exactly do you mean by the following. What is "creat"?

SFCHOWG wrote:

i am using reader with creat on my iPad

And this.

SFCHOWG wrote:

i need to open it but it won't allow me to preview or anything

Can you see the file on your ipad? What do you mean by "preview"? If you can see the file, what happens when you try and open it? Is the file saved to your ipad or is it in an email and that's what you are trying to "preview"?

Also, what type of pdf is this? Could it possibly be a fillable form of some type? If so, depending on how it was created, you may not be able to fill it in (it may not be supported on IOS yet).

Since the version of ipad and other devices is a bit different than the normal Reader for laptops and desktops, you may want to visit the forum for that version of Reader. Here is a link: CLOSED Reader/Acrobat DC for mobile (Read Only)

The people in that forum know a lot more about the mobile version than a lot of us in here.

• 5. Re: Can't open up PDFs from my email
                  MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

Hi SFCHOWG,

Are you trying to open a PDF email attachment in Apple Mail (the default mail app on iPad/iPhone)?

Is the PDF attachment displayed as a preview image in the email body?  Would you press & hold the preview image to see if a menu pops up?

Please take a look at the "Open from Mail" section, (c) "Long-press the preview image of an attached PDF document" in the following FAQ document.

How to open PDF documents in Adobe Acrobat Reader for iOS (iPad version)

Would you describe what you see on the screen when you try to open the PDF document in Acrobat Reader for iOS? Do you see an error message?

Thank you.