5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2016 2:10 PM by Bill Gehrke

Premiere Performance - Some questions and tests.

site fail Level 1

Hello all.  I've been having some performance issues on a newly upgraded PC and would like some advice.  Is what I outlined below normal?  It seems like it is wrong to me, but I'm not sure I know enough about how Permiere is supposed to perform (if this is indeed normal I'll probably look heavily into an alternative platform).  The system is an HP Z800 dual Xeon machine with 36GB RAM.  The system was upgraded to Windows 10 (clean install) from Windows 7, the system drive is an SSD (upgraded from spinning disk) as is a drive dedicated to adobe cache and temp files (new).  There is a RAID for video files with a dedicated controller (not using on board controller).  The system has an Nvidia M5000 graphics card (upgraded from Quatro 4000).  The system actually seems to work more poorly in Premiere and Aftereffects than it did before the upgrades and before the latest version of Premiere was installed.  I'm unable to play back simple 2.5k BMCC CinemaDNG files with no grading on them, for example.  Resolve handles these files fine with or without grading.

I've also noticed, in starting a new AE project, it seems to be very very slow with a very simple comp, despite using nearly no system resources (CPU and GPU are not taxed at all, RAM is not used up, and there is next to no load on any drive).  I tweaked the settings as recommended in several places to no avail.  So, after some discussion in another thread, I decided to do some tests to see if this falls at the feet of the computer or Adobe.  From what I see, Premiere is processing videos of all types significantly slower than any other way I can think to simply play back video. 

First I opened a .mov SD video file in Windows, VLC, QuickTime, and Premiere (seperatly of course) and played them back at full screen (the computer has 2x 4k HP monitors). Here are the results:

Windows: CPU 6%, GPU 3%

Quicktime: CPU 8%, GPU ~2%

VLC: CPU 8%, GPU 3%

Premiere (source monitor): CPU 38%, GPU 15%

Next, I played back some DNxHD 1080p files that were rendered in Media Encoder from BMCC footage:

VLC: CPU 33%, GPU 3%

Premiere (source monitor) CPU 45%, GPU 11%

Next I opened CinemaDNG footage in Resolve and Premiere to see how playback acted:

Resolve: CPU, 43%, GPU 30%

Premiere: CPU 100%, GPU 20% @6-12 fps (premiere can't play this footage a full frame rate on this high end machine)

Finally, I played back some simple h.264 mp4 files encoded using premiere's YouTube preset:

Windows: CPU 6%, GPU 3%

Quicktime: CPU 15%, GPU 3%

VLC: CPU 13%, GPU 3%

Premiere (source monitor): CPU 34%, GPU 15%

So, moving from playback to actual editing work, Premiere doesn't seem to make use of the GPU for the effects it says it makes use of the GPU for.  For example, I have a couple layers I'm using as grad filters (blending modes), Denoiser II, Lumetri and some other color grading...in short, I believe all effects that Adobe claims are processed by the GPU but, in reality, the GPU sits around doing nothing while I wait for a preview frame to render for 5 to 10 seconds.  If i turn off Denoiser II it gets better, but it is still very slow to even come up with a preview while the CPU and GPU do very little.

Finally, even though the latest version of a higher end Nvidia card are installed, After Effects still doesn't seem to support it!  I have to go into the GPU setting and click "Enable Untested GPU for CUDA, etc."

Any thoughts, advice, etc would be much appreciated.  I'm wondering if there could be a bottleneck or hardware conflict that I'm not thinking of? Are there some obscure chipset drivers that could cause this?  In my mind, this clearly can't be how Premiere should operate (it used to play BMCC footage back just fine and I edited an entire feature this way a couple years ago).  Thanks for reading!