5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2009 5:48 AM by Newsgroup_User

e learning

I am looking to build an e-learning/tutorial application as an additional aid to my teaching on a postgraduate course.
      Question 1 Can I do this purely in Flex or do I use extra software such as Captivate?
      Question2 Does anybody know of any examples that I could look at?
      Ian
        • 1. Re: e learning
          chris.huston.t10 Level 3
          Flex is well suited to e-learning applications in my opinion. Whether or not you also need Captivate depends on what type of content you want to include in your system. If you want to do simulations or demonstrations, then Captivate could be a helpful tool. Can you specify what types of learner interactions you are looking to create?

If you just need to be able to create basic content with interactive quiz functionality, then you probably don't need Captivate. I am working on getting a demo site of my e-learning and learner management system up. I hope to have it up and running by this weekend. You can email me for the URL if you are interested.

Chris
          • 2. Re: e learning
            Abdullah
            If it's a complete e-learning system then captivate could be used to make swfs for loading into the system. If it's one time thing then captivate might work.

There used to be tons of examples on the old Macromedia's site on how to build learning content such as Learning Objects and stuff with Flash and remote data. I used that to build an e-learning suite. Also, Flash Media Server is a neat tool for integrating live communication into e-learning.

-Abdullah
            • 3. Re: e learning
              thephantom6969 Level 1
              Try this url
              http://www.emathlearning.com/upload/Flex/CollegeAlg/CollegeAlg6a.html#

eMath
              It is in alpha stage. I like the template (movies, quizzes, popups, actions, etc.)
              • 4. Re: e learning
                Level 1
                Thanks for the reply - yes I would be interested in looking at your example

ian
                • 5. Re: e learning
                  Level 7

"bennettian" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:gop3l4$2q6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >I am looking to build an e-learning/tutorial application as an additional
                  >aid
                  > to my teaching on a postgraduate course.
                  > Question 1 Can I do this purely in Flex or do I use extra software such as
                  > Captivate?
                  > Question2 Does anybody know of any examples that I could look at?

MPO is that Flex does wonderfully as a shell for eLearning content, but it
                  doesn't offer the rich interactivity of, say, timeline-based Flash. So your
                  best use of it would be for creating an engine for presenting data-driven
                  content. That being said, Flex has a tremendous learning curve all on its
                  own, so if you are not an experienced AS3 developer and are also not an
                  experienced eLearning developer, you'll be having to learn both at the same
                  time.

You may find that Captivate 4 is all you need--it has way more power than
                  previous versions and, for the first time, it allows limited scripting. I
                  would suspect that Captivate 5 will nearly be a full-blown eLearning
                  solution of the type that Authorware was.

You may find this useful:

http://learn.adobe.com/wiki/display/Flex/Moving+to+Flex+from+Authorware