5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2016 12:55 PM by Nancy OShea

Serious problems with my site

anthonyw84450025

Hi

I am an MA Digital media student about to hand in major work for the Design of the internet, part of my course. I sent my site to my tutor and she has written back to me saying there are major problems with the site, she sent me the following

There are serious problems with your site.

Two minimum criteria’s are missing.

The first file should be called index.html, check on a mac, pc don't shows extensions.

The names of the html files can't contain any space, capital letters and characters

Your website has to contain at least 4 sections or pages.

The text is not readable.

The content has not been developed sufficiently.

Also your folder should contain only your index.html, your html pages, your images, your css and js script.

Please change the names of the files inside dreamweaver in the files panel.

Ask a friend to read it and to give you feedback.

Hope this helps.

Most of what she has said here I do not understand, I have got index.html which is the home page, I don't have a mac so can't check anything there. Not sure what she means 'The text is not readable' I checked it on a different computer to the one I have been working on and it was fine. The last bit is also confusing me, does she mean there are other things in the folder which should not be there? If there is anybody who can help even a little bit with the above I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Anthony

• 1. Re: Serious problems with my site
          osgood_ Level 8

anthonyw84450025 wrote:

Hi

I am an MA Digital media student about to hand in major work for the Design of the internet, part of my course. I sent my site to my tutor and she has written back to me saying there are major problems with the site, she sent me the following

There are serious problems with your site.

Two minimum criteria’s are missing.

The first file should be called index.html, check on a mac, pc don't shows extensions.

The names of the html files can't contain any space, capital letters and characters

Your website has to contain at least 4 sections or pages.

The text is not readable.

The content has not been developed sufficiently.

Also your folder should contain only your index.html, your html pages, your images, your css and js script.

Please change the names of the files inside dreamweaver in the files panel.

Ask a friend to read it and to give you feedback.

Hope this helps.

Most of what she has said here I do not understand, I have got index.html which is the home page, I don't have a mac so can't check anything there. Not sure what she means 'The text is not readable' I checked it on a different computer to the one I have been working on and it was fine. The last bit is also confusing me, does she mean there are other things in the folder which should not be there? If there is anybody who can help even a little bit with the above I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Anthony

Might be helpful if you could provide a url to the website?

All I can respond to for sure is that website filenames should not be like below (containing spaces or unusual characters between the words)

this is my § weBpage.html

You should use underscores to join the words and a preferred method is to use lower case:

this_is_my_webpage.html

The rest could mean anything unless we can actually see the website?

• 2. Re: Serious problems with my site
            anthonyw84450025 Level 1

Thing is I have not actually published the site, as we are not required to do that. Is there a way of getting a free URL and then I can show you.  Very much appreciate your response btw.

• 3. Re: Serious problems with my site
              osgood_ Level 8

anthonyw84450025 wrote:

Thing is I have not actually published the site, as we are not required to do that. Is there a way of getting a free URL and then I can show you.  Very much appreciate your response btw.

I personally have no experience of using a free webhost but if you Google 'free web space' or 'free web hosting' quite a lot come up. Here's one but how it works and what it does I have no idea Free Web Space @ FreeWebSpace.com

Hummm....maybe you can asked whoever is teaching you to actually supply you with some web-space. I think that might be quite helpful if they are actually teaching you about websites.

On the subject of addition items being in your folder - are there items in it you don't need for the website to work?

• 4. Re: Serious problems with my site
                anthonyw84450025 Level 1

Ok she has just got back to me with some more details about what she wants me to do. So I think I might be ok now, when I have finished I might try and publish the site here just to make sure there are no serious mistakes. For now I think I should concentrate on what she wants me to do.

Thanks

Anthony

• 5. Re: Serious problems with my site
                  Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A typical 4-page web site might contain the following basic structure as viewed from DW's Files Panel (F8):

Local Files

Sitename - (C:\sitename)

about.html

index.html  -- default home page

contact.html

products.html

-styles

layout.css

typography.css

menu.css

-scripts

jquery.1.10.3.min.js