4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2016 9:39 AM by pbfp

Continuous file numbering.

brianlsteege123 Level 1

I have a catalog of 750,000 images.  Each of the images currently has a randomly assigned name by me, the camera, or renaming.  I would like to assign all the images and all future images a unique number permanently for easy reference.  I have not yet figured out how to make this number consecutive after renaming all my files and then assigning during import.  Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Continuous file numbering.
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi,

You could always add Filename-Sequence while importing and renaming your images.

2b.JPG

To refer your images easily you need to manage them using collections,smart collections etc.

Refer How to Organize Photos in Lightroom

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: Continuous file numbering.
            brianlsteege123 Level 1

Akashi,

My library is very organized into collections, etc.  I want a continuous numbering system for clients to interact with when file choosing.  A Filename-Sequence doesn't really work for the way I have my images for the multiple repeat clients.  Any other suggestions?  My desire is for each and every file to have a unique number.

• 3. Re: Continuous file numbering.
              Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

You could also consider renaming the  exiting images in Lightroom:-Press F2 rename them with Filename(custom) -sequence(Each file will have own sequence number.)

Remember the last sequence number and import new files with same custom name and next sequence number.

~Akash

• 4. Re: Continuous file numbering.
                pbfp Level 1

I seem to remember that Bridge or perhaps Photoshop, years ago, allowed you to automatically have the number sequence added when you wanted to add new photos to a given file name.  So if I knew I had photos named "Great Wall" but didn't remember what the last number in the sequence was, and now 2 years later I want to rename some new photos with the "Great Wall" name, the program would automatically ask if I wanted to continue the sequence.  You say that it is necessary to remember the last sequence number.  Isn't there still some way to have it done automatically?  It seems like a step backward to have to remember the sequence number.  I am writing about doing this in Lightroom CC