3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2016 1:54 PM by D Fosse

External edit in Photoshop CC/Lightroom does not convert the dng into tiff

paulf9606411

Hello,

I have the following problem with Lightroom CC :

When I want to edit a photo with Photoshop CC, Lightroom does not convert the DNG file into a TIFF file, like it used to.

Photoshop just opens the DNG file, and does not open the Camera Raw import window.

I have checked the Preferences/External editors settings.

I have also reset the Lightroom's preferences by deleting the folder C:\Users\paul\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom.

I use the CC 2015 version for both Lightroom and Photoshop.

I have just updated them both via the Creative Cloud app today.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: External edit in Photoshop CC/Lightroom does not convert the dng into tiff
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

There are two (primary) ways that Lightroom passes images over to Photoshop-

1. If you select a 'raw' image file (DNG, NEF, CR2,etc) and [Edit In.. Photoshop] then the image opens in the Photoshop window. It appears to still be the DNG (or NEF as in my screen-clip) as it shows that file name above the image.

ScreenShot332.jpg

However if you have done some PS edits, when you "Save" -then Photoshop creates the TIFF (or JPG) file and shows the new derivative photo back in Lightroom. Watch the title above change when you "Save"-

ScreenShot333.jpg

In fact if you do nothing to the image in Photoshop except "Close" and "Don't save" then no new derivative image is created!

does not open the Camera Raw import window.

That is because Lightroom is the "Camera Raw window" .!!!

If you "Edit in Photoshop as a Smart Layer" you also have the option of re-adjusting the image with ACR by double-clicking the layer thumbnail in Ps.

2. If you select a 'pixel' type file (TFF, JPG, PNG, PSD, etc) and [Edit In...Ps]  then Lightroom tries to preserve the file by giving you options. So you decide to either open and over-write the file you are opening [Edit Original], or you let Lr create another derivative image FIRST before it is sent to Ps. This new 'copy' will show and remain in the Lr library 'before' it opens in Ps.

ScreenShot334.jpg

• 2. Re: External edit in Photoshop CC/Lightroom does not convert the dng into tiff
            paulf9606411 Level 1

Thank you !

I was confused with the .dng file name in the PS window.

• 3. Re: External edit in Photoshop CC/Lightroom does not convert the dng into tiff
              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As long as the file is open in Photoshop, it really isn't any specific file type. That happens when you save as a file type. So the PS window just reflects the last saved state.

When you "edit in Photoshop" it really is ACR that opens the file into Photoshop, but with settings it gets from Lightroom. This happens silently and the ACR interface doesn't open.