5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2016 7:00 AM by dj_paige

Re-installation of Lightroom on new laptop, keywords gone from images! (I think!)

Rocket.1978 Level 1

Hello

I am using Lightroom 5.2

I spent several days a while ago updating all my keywords in LR using my old laptop. I have about 8,000 image files, mainly CR2 RAW files, all saved on an external toshiba harddrive.

I now have a new laptop, and have re-installed LR onto this new laptop. I am starting to import all the image files into LR from the external hard drive, but I have noticed that there are no keywords in the version of LR installed on the new laptop.

I perhaps foolishly assumed that when I keyworded all the files first time round the metadata would be saved into the CR2 file itself, such that it would be accessible by other applications, or, in this case, by a version of LR installed on a different laptop. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Am I doing something wrong? Are the keywords there but I cant see them somehow?

I really dont want to have go back through 8000 files and re-keyword them all, it took me days!

If all else fails, can I go back to the version of LR on my old laptop (which I still have) and somehow join the keywords to the files in a more permanent way so they are recognised by my new laptop, or is this something I needed to set as a default when I first carried out the keywording exercise?

Many thanks
      Tom

• 1. Re: Re-installation of Lightroom on new laptop, keywords gone from images! (I think!)
          dj_paige Level 9

I am starting to import all the image files into LR from the external hard drive, but I have noticed that there are no keywords in the version of LR installed on the new laptop.

Importing is the wrong thing to do. IMPORTANT CONCEPT: If a photo has been imported in the past, do not import it again, as Lightroom thinks this is a brand new photo that it has never seen before.

The proper technique is described here: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

• 2. Re: Re-installation of Lightroom on new laptop, keywords gone from images! (I think!)
            Rocket.1978 Level 1

ah ok, thanks.... just to follow up though, i'm not aiming to transfer any actual files. When I say I am using an external harddrive, I should probably have been clearer: the RAW image files have always been stored on the external hard drive.

IMPORTANT CONCEPT: If a photo has been imported in the past, do not import it again, as Lightroom thinks this is a brand new photo that it has never seen before.

But it is a brand new version/installation of LR. So it will be a brand new photo as far as the new version of LR is concerned, wont it? How will it have seen the image file before?

So previously I had LR 5.2 installed on my old laptop, and when I need to use it I would plug in the USB hard drive, access the files from there using LR as a kind of catalogue/database to find the photos I want to work with, make minot adjustments, and then load up into PS from there for further editing. I would then save the PSD file elsewhere. But the original RAW file would always remain on the external hard drive. This seemed to work ok on my old laptop, because the hard drive always appeared as the same drive letter when connected so LR knew where to find the files.

I am not planning on copying/moving the files from the external hard drive to my new laptop's (internal) hard drive. They will stay on the hard drive, exactly as they were before. When re-installing LR on the new laptop is that not effectively starting again from scratch? Its a new laptop, new operating system, new installation of LR. So I presumed I needed to import the files again otherwise how will LR know where they are from the hard drive?

Sorry if these are silly questions. I've tried to work through the tutorial you linked to but I got stuck on step 4: transfer. For example it says to transfer the catalog, etc. But i'm not transferring anything am I? Just need to tell the new version of LR where to look to find the image files...

• 3. Re: Re-installation of Lightroom on new laptop, keywords gone from images! (I think!)
              dj_paige Level 9

But it is a brand new version/installation of LR. So it will be a brand new photo as far as the new version of LR is concerned, wont it? How will it have seen the image file before?

Your keywords are in Lightroom, specifically they are in the catalog file. You have to transfer the catalog file, as described in the link I provided. Importing the photos is not the way to do this.

I've tried to work through the tutorial you linked to but I got stuck on step 4: transfer. For example it says to transfer the catalog, etc. But i'm not transferring anything am I? Just need to tell the new version of LR where to look to find the image files...

You MUST copy the catalog file to the new computer. Then, although it is a new installation of Lightroom, you MUST use your existing catalog with the keywords. That's the key, you MUST use the existing catalog file.

• 4. Re: Re-installation of Lightroom on new laptop, keywords gone from images! (I think!)
                Rocket.1978 Level 1

Right, that makes much more sense now, many thanks. I could see there was some conceptual link I was missing...

I have only imported a small number of images so far, I guess the best thing is to "unimport" those and start afresh once I have copied the catalog files over.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Re-installation of Lightroom on new laptop, keywords gone from images! (I think!)
                  dj_paige Level 9

You don't need this new catalog file that you imported photos into. You can (and should) delete it.

"start afresh"? I'm not liking the sound of that, but I'm not really sure what you mean. Just because you are on a new computer, you are NOT starting afresh (the way I interpret those words), you are using your existing Lightroom catalog file.