2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2016 1:51 PM by Stephen Pickering122

How do I use keyboard keys to fix visemes?

Stephen Pickering122 Level 1

Hi there,

I'm new to animating but have enjoyed working in Character Animator. I created a puppet that animates perfectly for me needs. I just copied the mouth layers from the "Seth" character example provided in Preview 3.  I have a pre-recorded script that I analyzed, and it did a great job. However, there are a few spots that are off just a bit.  For example, there is a "W" sound that is totally missed in the analyzed auto-sync.  If I could just type "W" at that point it would be perfect.  Another spot adds an extra mouth movement for some reason a split second after the audio is done.  If I could "delete" that movement it would be perfect.

I know I can do keyboard input but I can't figure out how to do it.  In real time recording I can't keep up with it, and in slow motion I can't make out the words in order to type the keys.  I broke the lip-sync into visemes which I thought would get me closer, but I still can't figure out how to do it...  Are there some advanced tutorials you can point me toward?

Thanks!

-Stephen

• 1. Re: How do I use keyboard keys to fix visemes?
          CoSA_DaveS Adobe Employee

We don't have a tutorial on this yet, but there's a brief mention of viseme editing 30 seconds into this video: https://vimeo.com/146802911

That allows you to change the timing and delete visemes you don't want. For adding new ones via keyboard, select the puppet track item in the timeline, twirl down Lip Sync parameters in the properties panel, and click the little dot in front of Keyboard Input so it turns red (you probably also want to turn off the red dot in front of Audio Input, or just turn off the mic) -- now, when the character is selected, you should be able to use the keyboard to trigger visemes (use the first letter of the viseme, e.g. W for "W-Oo") during rehearsal or recording. If you don't get the timing right, you can select the Keyboard take in the timeline and do Timeline > Split Lip Sync into Visemes again, which will give you one bar for each viseme.

We're working on making this much easier!

• 2. Re: How do I use keyboard keys to fix visemes?
            Stephen Pickering122 Level 1

Thank you! I'll keep playing around with it!  I was having a terrible time getting the timing right, so each time I had to record a single viseme, stop it, trim it, move it around to the right place, and record the next one.  This got pretty tedious.

Looking forward to more tutorials about this!

-Stephen