12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2017 4:28 AM by taraheverin

nvidia quadro m1000m for mercury playback?

TL2121 Level 1

Guys

it's been a while...

need new cpu for editing and sent my IT dept. at work the below laptop as a good reference for what to get, preferably just get this one below

Sager Custom Laptops

NP9758-S Notebook

but of course IT came back with a totally different config with nvidia quadro m1000m

below is the config they sent me, I read on Nvidias website "The Quadro M1000M is built for the Intel Skylake generation as the successor to the Kepler-based Quadro K1100M"

which (quadro k1100m)is a mercury playback certified card--would this be sufficient, or would the sager laptop be better (my preference for now)

thanks

tony

Dell Mobile Precision Workstations 5510

Dell Mobile Precision Workstation 5510 XCTO

X5510T

Processor

Intel® Core™ Xeon E3-1505M v5 (Quad Core 2.80GHz, 3.70GHz Turbo, 8MB 45W, w/Intel HD Graphics P530)

E31505

Base Options

Intel Xeon E3-1535M v5 Processor with NVidia Quadro M1000M Graphics w/2GB GDDR5

XE3150

Processor Branding

Intel XEON Label

XEON

Operating System

Windows 7 Professional English, French, Spanish 64bit (Includes Windows 10 Pro License)

DW10P7M

Non-Microsoft Application Software

Dell Applications Windows 7

WIN7

Office Productivity Software

Microsoft® Office Trial, MUI

16MUI

Video Card

NVidia® Quadro® M1000M w/2GB GDDR5

M1000M

Energy Efficiency Options

ENERGY STAR qualified

ESTAR

LCD

1. 15.6" UltraSharp™ FHD IPS (1920x1080) Wide View Anti-Glare LED-backlit with Premium Panel Guarantee

LCDNT2

Memory

8GB (1x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC

8G1D4

Primary Storage

256GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive

256GPM8

Wireless

Intel® Dual-Band Wireless-AC 8260 Wi-Fi + BT 4.1 Wireless Card (2x2)

• 1. Re: nvidia quadro m1000m for mercury playback?
          TL2121 Level 1

For the most part I'm editing AVCHD material and computer screen captures (h.264) for software tutorials

• 2. Re: nvidia quadro m1000m for mercury playback?
            RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

i would recommend no lower than the quadro m3000m, which is similar to the gtx 956m. if you need last gen kepler, the k4100m should be enough.

i would also recommend 16bgb of memory.

hp has some with various quadro's, the zbook 17 g3.

you may want to pass this article along to your IT dept, Dell Issues Removal Tool for Superfish-Like Vulnerability | PCMag.com

if any laptop will work (non IT managed), non workstation grade laptops can be alot more affordable. with a 4 core i7-47xxxx or i7-67xxxx and gtx 965m.

one of the sager laptops looks nice, the NP9758-S laptop. it has a desktop cpu, the i7-6700k, a gtx 970m, 16gb ram, and m.2 samsung 950 pro ssd option.

• 3. Re: nvidia quadro m1000m for mercury playback?
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              1. Stay away from that screwy Dell mobile workstation configuration. It has the 2nd worst current mobile GPU for working with Premiere..  The M1000M has only 512 CUDA cores and a lousy bandwidth of 80GB/s and only 2GB of video RAM versus your choice of the GTX 970M which has 1280 CUDA cores, a memory bandwidth of 120GB/s and 6GB of video RAM.
              2. The Dell  has only 8GB of RAM, where that is nowhere near enough RAM.  This several year old laptop of mine has 24 GB to handle Premiere smoothly.  Your Sager actualyl could be expanded to 64GB!
              3. The Sager has a i7-6700K processor which is faster than the Xeon.  It turbos to 4.0GHz versus the Xeon at 3.7GHz
              4. It appears that the Dell only has a single SSD which does not meet Adobe Premiere Pro minimum requirements, where your Sager can apparently have two M.2 SSD's plus two SATA III drives.  If you can get that Sager with the second M.2 SSD and get the Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB drive you will be absolutely equipped for some real serious editing over that Dell toy.

Sure wish I could have one of those Sagers

• 4. Re: nvidia quadro m1000m for mercury playback?
                TL2121 Level 1

Ha...Gehrke

Thanks to you, Harm and the rest of the adobe community for making me aware of these Sager's as these are great machines, IT always wants to set us up with the lowest common denominator--I'll ask for the 2nd ssd, (i'll use optimized performance as my reason) hopefully I can get that--if not i have a 1 TB usb3 drive that I'm sure you won't approve of--but I can use for my local cache files

just be a bit slower

thanks also to Ronin for his good advice--very helpful

Tony

• 5. Re: nvidia quadro m1000m for mercury playback?
                  jose dr63163530 Level 1

I am not sure that a second USB 3, is better than a single PCI NMve? the latter could reach 3x write/read speeds than USB 3. are we talking about USB Type C/thunderbolt?

• 6. Re: nvidia quadro m1000m for mercury playback?
                    RjL190365 Level 4

jose dr63163530 wrote:

I am not sure that a second USB 3, is better than a single PCI NMve? the latter could reach 3x write/read speeds than USB 3. are we talking about USB Type C/thunderbolt?

Here's the thing:

If that single PCIe NVMe SSD is also used as the OS disk in addition to video files and projects, that disk's effective I/O performance can be as much as three to four times slower than if that same SSD weren't used at all for the OS because the OS must perform major housekeeping duties on that single disk that cannot be disabled at all.

On top of that, that Dell may have an NVMe SSD whose actual specified write speed isn't anywhere close to that much faster than the fastest SATA SSDs. Thus, the benchmarked performance in the Disk I/O timeline for AVI exports in PPBM will actually be slower for the single NVME SSD than for an external USB 3.0 SSD.

• 7. Re: nvidia quadro m1000m for mercury playback?
                      taraheverin Level 1

Hi @Bill,

You said the Quadro M1000M is the second worse card you can use. Does this mean that it is still usable? As it is not showing up as an option in Mercury Playback?

• 8. Re: nvidia quadro m1000m for mercury playback?

What numeric version of Premiere Pro?

Run Adobe's GPUSniffer.exe in a CMD window and do a screen grab it show it to us.

• 9. Re: nvidia quadro m1000m for mercury playback?
                          taraheverin Level 1

Thanks Bill,

It's Premiere Pro CC 2017

gpusniffer.jpg

• 10. Re: nvidia quadro m1000m for mercury playback?

"Not chosen because of old driver"

Try updating with nvidia's latest driver.  NVIDIA DRIVERS Quadro Desktop/Quadro Notebook Driver Release 384 WHQL

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: nvidia quadro m1000m for mercury playback?
                              RjL190365 Level 4

Your laptop has Maximus switchable graphics, doesn't it? Then Premiere Pro CC 2015.3 or later or CC 2017 (any version released to date) does not support such graphics at all. You see, there have been problems with switchable graphics with Premiere Pro CC 2015.3 and 2015.4 - the  program crashes whenever GPU acceleration is enabled in Premiere Pro's MPE. As a result, CC 2017 has the MPE "permanently" locked to the MPE software-only mode whenever switchable graphics is detected. The only way to enable MPE CUDA GPU acceleration when running Premiere Pro CC 2015.3 or later or CC 2017 on these laptops would be to completely disable the integrated Intel HD Graphics IGP in the laptop's firmware (and thus, only the Nvidia Quadro graphics is detected). Unfortunately, many of these workstation laptops require the Intel HD Graphics to be enabled just for their installations of Windows to even work properly; in such a case, you would have to live with CPU-only (or software-only) rendering.

Randall

• 12. Re: nvidia quadro m1000m for mercury playback?
                                taraheverin Level 1

An easy and quick resolve but I couldn't have done it without you. Thanks so much Bill Gehrke

I