10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2016 2:52 PM by deloniousmax

Color Management Settings greyed out

big island

Hello,

My color management settings under the interpret footage tab are greyed out, regardless of the project's color settings, color depth, or working space profile. This is true for any footage brought into any project.

I'm using AE 13.6.1.6 on a Mac 10.10.5. On my other computer using AE 13.5.1.48 this is not an issue.

Please advise!

• 1. Re: Color Management Settings greyed out
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Color management starts with enabling it in the Project Settings where you choose your working space:

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 12.12.35 PM.png

You may want to linearize the working space or change the other options if you know what you are doing.

Then select an asset and choose the color space and profile from the options using Interpret Footage:

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 12.14.47 PM.png

Note that the assigned profile shows up in the info for the footage in the Project Panel. You should not be using color management unless you know for sure what kind of profile is being used by the camera. If the footage in this example was shot using Adobe SRGB then that would be the right choice.

You need to study up on color management, profiles and color space to make sense of the process and make sure that you end up with what you want when you render. You must follow the entire process through the output module:

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 12.21.01 PM.png

If you use the Adobe Media Encoder you also have to follow through with the process but things are a lot more difficult to find and implement. In every case you need to make sure that your selections match the goals and that the end result is going to be played back on a system that will read and use color management settings for playback.

For access to some excellent community resources on color management simply type color management in the search help field at the top right corner of AE and check out some of the links: Adobe - Search: color management. This Adobe TV article should at least get you started. Color management is not for the amateur. It requires an organized and proven workflow developed with the end product in mind. Each different product may require a different color management technique.

After Effects: Color Manage | Learn by Video | Adobe TV

• 2. Re: Color Management Settings greyed out
            big island Level 1

Wow - thanks for the very complete answer!

Unfortunately that is exactly the process I've tried and the necessary boxes are still greyed out. I've trashed the prefs, tried new projects and different footage and dozens of different project settings. No luck. In my 2 hour conversation with Adobe, the tech support person also had the same problem. I fear this is a bug with the latest update - 13.6.1.6

I'm currently working with Arri Alexa footage, though the same problem occurs with other formats.

Please let me know if you discover a workaround, and thanks again!

• 3. Re: Color Management Settings greyed out
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

big island wrote:

I fear this is a bug with the latest update - 13.6.1.6

That isn't the latest update. 13.7.0.x is

It might not fix it, but you could try.

• 4. Re: Color Management Settings greyed out
                big island Level 1

Thanks - just did, but still no luck. I'm surprised that I'm the only one experiencing this. I'm working on an iMac i7, 10.10.5 w/32GB RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M. I also have the AJA IOxt. I have also tried uninstalling all of the AJA software, and the NVIDIA drivers are up to date.

• 5. Re: Color Management Settings greyed out
                  Floh75

I have the same problem since AE 13.6.1 - but only with Quicktime files. It seems that someone at Adobe decided that video-files are either Rec701 or Rec601 ... unfortunately that makes it impossible to work with Quicktime files recorded with an Arri Alexa in Log-C when a workflow is needed where baking in a LUT isn't a option.

• 6. Re: Color Management Settings greyed out
                    cdertschei Level 1

Same here, they screwed it somwhere in the cc 2015 Series

• 7. Re: Color Management Settings greyed out
                      chrisw44157881 Level 4

just use AE's utility color profile converter to undo the changes that AE forces it to interpret to. That's what adobe engineers told me. I'm like sure, that's kind of silly, ehhh it works now k thanks bye.

• 8. Re: Color Management Settings greyed out
                        deloniousmax
                        just use AE's utility color profile converter to undo the changes that AE forces it to interpret to. That's what adobe engineers told me

I have the same problem. iMac i7, AE CC v 13.8.1.38

That is a terrible solution for Adobe to suggest. They should fix that asap.

• 9. Re: Color Management Settings greyed out
                          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

deloniousmax wrote:

That is a terrible solution for Adobe to suggest. They should fix that asap.

Everyone, if you feel this way, please file bug reports and/or feature requests letting them know. If they can quantify a big need for their users, stuff gets moved up the priority list. Link to file them here.

• 10. Re: Color Management Settings greyed out
                            deloniousmax Level 1

Thanks Szalam! Bug reported... very frustrating.