6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2016 3:05 PM by Chromo

Button to display a number, to uncover a field

Chromo

I have a table that lists the correct values of a calculation.  I would like to be able to if clicked on that area the number is displayed.  I tried the show and hide, it is not working ..  I created a button covering the value ... in this case 235.5 ft ... I would like that the number is covered and when a person clicks on the button, the number gets displayed.  on the action I tried mouse up ... show/hide .. hide .. nothing happens.

any help would be appreciated.

circumference.PNG

• 1. Re: Button to display a number, to uncover a field
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It should work. Without seeing the form it's hard to say why it isn't.

• 2. Re: Button to display a number, to uncover a field
            gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Does the user enter the result of their calculation?

When you try to use your form are there any error messages in the JavaScript console?

If so, what are they?

• 3. Re: Button to display a number, to uncover a field
              Chromo Level 1

Does the user enter the result of their calculation?  No it a static number .. the whole file was converted from one of my Powerpoint lectures.

When you try to use your form are there any error messages in the JavaScript console?  Not sure that it is a form .. The page is static .. no entry nothing.  I used the create button .. covered the rectangle where the number is .. then went to the button properties, changed the color to grey, and typed in the label "click here to see answer"  ... went to action used mouse down, and the show hide  and clicked on the hide radio button .. 

I then go to the arrow on the toolbar and try to run the item .. nothing

If so, what are they?  There are no error that are displayed.

• 4. Re: Button to display a number, to uncover a field
                Chromo Level 1

It is not a form .. just a static page that I converted from PowerPoint to give my students.  they do the math on paper and then match the answer.

• 5. Re: Button to display a number, to uncover a field
                  gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Adding a button or a link action to a PDF is considered making it interactive because if something is touched the form reacts in some manner.

You can create a link or a button that uses JavaScript to pop-up a message.

Again without seeing your PDF with what ever things you have added, we are very limited on providing any detailed answer.

Links and buttons are not activated by clicking on a down arrow on any tool bar.

Placing the button over the text or area of the page to be displayed might not be the easiest approach. I would put a read only field with a white fill over the section to hide or display and have the button action to set the display property of the field to either "display.hidden" or "display.visible". This could even be done with a button by using the dropdown options for the mouse action and the on blur action for the button.

• 6. Re: Button to display a number, to uncover a field
                    Chromo Level 1

Thanks  gkaiseril  . Must be confusion on the down arrow on tool bar .. I meant the arrow that lets one exit the selected object

tool bar.PNG

If it can't function with a lot script no problem .. they will the answer on a separate page. 

Not sure how to post the file/page .. or send it to you without your permission .

Thanks for the effort.