2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2009 10:44 AM by SirTree

Calling Web Service from Flex (to PeopleSoft)

SirTree
      I'm new to Flex and web services. I've created a web service in PeopleSoft and successfully imported the WSDL into Flex so that it has contacted the PS server and returned data (using mx:WebService and mx:Operation code I found examples of). However, I have been unable to pass a parameter to the service from Flex using that code. I then discovered and followed the sample code in the Flex-generated package, but no matter what I do I cannot successfully supply the "myValue" in the sample shown below. Here is Flex's own text in my GetInfo.as file built by Flex:

* MXML sample code:
      * First you need to map the package where the files were generated to a namespace, usually on the <mx:Application> tag, like this: xmlns:ws="com.draper.*"
      * Define the service and within its tags set the request wrapper for the desired operation
      * <ws:GetInfo id="myService">
      * <ws:FindID_request_var><ws:FindID_request Find__CompIntfc__DL_TREE_IB_CI=myValue/>
      * </ws:FindID_request_var>
      * </ws:GetInfo>
      * Then call the operation for which you have set the request wrapper value above, like this:
      * <mx:Button id="myButton" label="Call operation" click="myService.FindID_send()" />

My code is:
      <ws:GetInfo id="userRequest">
      <ws:findID_request_var><ws:FindID_request Find__CompIntfc__DL_TREE_IB_CI="X"/>
      </ws:findID_request_var>
      </ws:GetInfo>

When I try to run it, Flex is unhappy with the value I am assigning ("X" above) no matter what I put there. If I omit the double quotes and try to assign a text input field value (which is my goal here), it complains that it expects a double quote. If I put almost anything else there, it complains either:
      Initializer for 'Find__CompIntfc__DL_TREE_IB_CI'; values of type com.draper.Find__CompIntfc__DL_TREE_IB_CITypeShape cannot be represented as text.
      or, if I try this line, where I attempt to pass a text input field:

<ws:FindID_request Find__CompIntfc__DL_TREE_IB_CI="{compID.text}"/>

then I get:
      1067: Implicit coercion of a value of type String to an unrelated type com.draper:Find__CompIntfc__DL_TREE_IB_CITypeShape

Can anyone help with this please?

Thanks

Jim
        • 1. Re: Calling Web Service from Flex (to PeopleSoft)
          DRT_Chris Level 1
          Hi Jim,

I just started using Flex this week so I haven't tried making calls using the method that you are (by importing the WSDL through Data > Import Web Service (WSDL)...), but I have been successful in making calls via another method.

<mx:WebService id="webServiceID" wsdl=" http://yourwebsite/somefolder/service.wsdl">
          <mx:operation name="operationName" result="ResultHandler(event)"fault=
          "FaultHandler(event)">
          <mx:request>
          <!-- parameters -->
          </mx:request>
          </mx:operation>
          </mx:WebService>

To make the call, you would use the send() method on your operation ("operationName" in the example above). Let's just say you want to send the request on a button click. The code would look like:

<mx:Button label="Send Web Service Request" click="webServiceID.operationName.send()"/>

Please note that "operationName.send()" will not work alone - you need to use "webServiceID.operationName.send()"

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
          Chris

• 2. Re: Calling Web Service from Flex (to PeopleSoft)
            SirTree Level 1
            Chris,

Thanks. That is what I *was* doing, that got me all data returned. The parameter never gets passed in the XML. It acts as if a blank was passed and returns everything (just as you would expect in the PeopleSoft search page when you just click Find without specifying a key). It is expecting a partial key and will return all keys that match (find method).

PS expects the key DL_CS_COMPID, and in Flex I've seen Find__CompIntfc__DL_TREE_IB_CI also. So I've tried:
            <mx:request>
            <!-- <DL_CS_COMPID> -->
            <Find__CompIntfc__DL_TREE_IB_CI>
            {compID.text}
            </Find__CompIntfc__DL_TREE_IB_CI>
            <!-- </DL_CS_COMPID> -->
            </mx:request>

(You can see I currently have dl_cs_compid commented out). Both behave identically - they are ignored in the XML that is sent from Flex. Here is a sample of what was received in PS:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
            <M540564.V1:Find__CompIntfc__DL_TREE_IB_CI xmlns:M540564.V1=" http://xmlns.oracle.com/Enterprise/Tools/schemas/M540564.V1" xmlns:SOAP-ENV=" http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:xsd=" http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi=" http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"/>

I believe there should be a <DL_CS_COMPID>value</DL_CS_COMPID> string in there.