2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2016 7:19 AM by andrews81572331

Are there known issues with Browser support for links using the "Go to a page in another document" action?

andrews81572331

Hi Community,

I'm working with a client that has an internal website consisting of around 14,000 PDF documents with inter-document links added directly in the Acrobat PDF (i.e. Invisible Rectangle + Action). These documents are served in an HTML frame from an IIS 6.0 based website on a legacy Win2k3 server.

I've had reports from users that specific links don't work. On analyzing the links they appear to have been created using two distinct link types:

a. Go to a page in another document

b. Open file

(see screenshot).

Links that use type A (Go to Page in Another document). have been identified as not-working, but in recent tests on various Internet Explorer / Acrobat combinations (IE 9 / 11, Acrobat Reader XI, Acrobat X Pro), they all seem to work. However, I cannot create a 'new link' in Acrobat Pro X of type 'a' which leads me to believe that support for it as a linking type has been deprecated. As per the adobe JavaScript documentation here, links or actions that aren't on a 'safe list' will silently fail. This might be happening to our links.

Before we embark on scripting changing the link types on these documents; Does anyone know if there are issues using the 'Go to a page in another document' action and is it supported in current Reader / Pro?

AcrobatLinkTypes.png

• 1. Re: Are there known issues with Browser support for links using the "Go to a page in another document" action?
          CtDave Level 5

Some of today's browsers make use of their own in-built PDF viewer. These are not all that capable in their support of PDF (as per the ISO Standard for PDF - ISO 32000).

Always ensure the browser used lets you establish Reader or Acrobat as the PDF viewer. Alternatively download the PDFs to the local machine and then open 'em using Reader or Acrobat.

Be well...

• 2. Re: Are there known issues with Browser support for links using the "Go to a page in another document" action?
            andrews81572331 Level 1

CtDave,

Thanks for the tip. Yes, I'd noted that Chrome (for example) uses its own internal PDF renderer (not Adobe's) and with this none of the links work. But in the case with this system all the clients have been using a corporate desktop build with IE9 and Acrobat Reader XI. I'm unable to re-create the issue personally. For me, all link types work and I've tried several IE/Acrobat Reader combinations.

I'm just wondering if it's worth programmatically switching all the links to use the 'Open File' action which does appear to be available in current Acrobat Pro. This would require a bit of effort - but going on the assumption that if I cannot create new links of type 'b' in Acrobat Pro - it's not actively supported or maintained in both Pro and Browser. I just can't find anything in Adobe's support material to confirm that.

Thanks,

A.