21 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2016 12:45 PM by yasseram

Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere

yasseram Level 1

Hello

am confused about @GPU acceleration effects like Lumetri and cuda support in premiere 2015,

I upgrade my GTX 570 to GTX 980Ti

with GTX 570, I add Lumetri effect to a clip and do some correction when I play back I get

dropped frames, premiere use 90% of the power of GTX 570 GPU

with GTX 980Ti, I played the same clip with the same Lumetri effect and great no dropped

frame, but when I add another Lumetri effect to the same clip I get dropped frames and

noticed that premiere use only 33% of the power of GTX 980Ti

I try another GPU acceleration effects like fast color correction, 3 way color correction, RGB Curves, Luma Curve, once the premiere reach to 33% of the power of GTX 980Ti  the dropped frames beginning

with Davinci Resolve I add several correction nodes and working amazing with 97% of the power of GTX 980Ti

I know that GTX 980Ti not Recommended GPU, but I also know that Quadro M6000 is Recommended GPU, and both are using Maxwell GPU GM200

Quadro M6000 is based on Maxwell GPU GM200

GeForce GTX 980Ti is based on Maxwell GPU GM200

why premiere using only 33% of the power of GTX 980Ti ?

is there a trick can I do to let premiere using the  100% of the power of GTX 980Ti ?

if I replace GTX 980Ti with Quadro M6000 will I get premiere using 100% of the power of Quadro M6000 ? and why ?

my system:

Windows 10 Enterprise

ASUS X99-A

i7-5820K

16 GB Ram

4 X 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Disk Raid 0

GTX 980Ti GPU 6GB

Decklink Intensity Pro 4k

Premiere 2015.2

project setting and all my clips are HD1080 50i uncompresed 10bit

thanks

• 1. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My guess is that you are CPU limited or are expecting too much from the GPU.  If you would like to see ~100% GPU load run our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM).  There are 4 tests, two of those, the MPEG2-DVD timeline is exported with GPU assistance and without GPU (CPU only).  The MPE GPU assisted gain varies roughly 10 to 40 .

Do you also have a separate boot drive?

One other thing I do not understand is that you have 10-bit media.  Normally if you want to see that 10-bit media you need a Quadro card not the GTX cards.

• 2. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere
            RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

as you say, the gtx 980 ti is basically the quadro m6000 (same chip), so i wouldn't expect any difference. adobe hasn't been updating the recommended hardware list regularly, im actually surprised to see the maxwell quadro's listed. i have seen an adobe staff member say maxwell cards are supported with premiere.

what is the cpu usage % at when using enough effects to get smooth playback, and whats it at when adding more lumetri and it starts dropping frames?

if the cpu usage is low, then something else may be bottlenecking the playback. the ppbm test bill suggests will be helpful to get an idea of your computers performance. it could also be a software bottleneck, with premiere or a plugin. if one of the effects in use isn't multi-threading, it will cripple performance. you may have to test the effects you are using to find if one is causing the problem.

to bill, he may be using the blackmagic card for 10bit display. even if not, 10bit media would still be better for manipulation before final delivery of 8bit. 8 bit is terrible, it shouldn't have been allowed to stick around this long for delivery formats.

• 3. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere
              yasseram Level 1

My guess is that you are CPU limited or are expecting too much from the GPU.  If you would like to see ~100% GPU load run our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM).  There are 4 tests, two of those, the MPEG2-DVD timeline is exported with GPU assistance and without GPU (CPU only).  The MPE GPU assisted gain varies roughly 10 to 40 .

MPEG2-DVD Test take about 15 sec to render with 99% of the power of GTX 980Ti and 55% CPU usage with Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration rendered from premiere

MPEG2-DVD Test take about 13.3 min to render with (0 to 1)% of the power of GTX 980Ti and (50 to 60)% CPU usage with Mercury Playback Engine Software only rendered from premiere

Do you also have a separate boot drive?

sure raid is only for video clips and adobe preview rendered

One other thing I do not understand is that you have 10-bit media.  Normally if you want to see that 10-bit media you need a Quadro card not the GTX cards.

using Decklink Intensity Pro 4k for monitoring

• 4. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere
                yasseram Level 1

what is the cpu usage % at when using enough effects to get smooth playback, and whats it at when adding more lumetri and it starts dropping frames?

with one lumetri effect about 9% CPU usage no dropped frame

with two lumetri effect about 11% CPU usage with dropped frame

if the cpu usage is low, then something else may be bottlenecking the playback. the ppbm test bill suggests will be helpful to get an idea of your computers performance.

I test it and results above

it could also be a software bottleneck, with premiere or a plugin. if one of the effects in use isn't multi-threading, it will cripple performance. you may have to test the effects you are using to find if one is causing the problem.

software like what ?

it"s new project with one clip with two lumetri effect only to test performance of GPU

is there any thing with Nvidia control panel can I adjust for premiere ?

I hope that I can see premiere using 100% usage of GPU with playback not with rendering

• 5. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere

the only time i see people changing settings in the nvidia control panel is when using multiple nvidia gpu's and they want to disable one for premiere. your mpeg2 test with ppbm shows 99% gpu usage, suggesting premiere can max your gpu. with your cpu % so low and having playback problems with two lumetri, im still thinking its a bottleneck issue.

you have 16gb of memory, how much is being used before playback, and during playback for with lumetri? and does the dropped frames happen as soon as starting playback, or only after a while once memory is being used?

if you can make a test project and make a multi-cam sequence with 3 or more of your HD1080 50i uncompresed 10bit clips, and then see if there are playback issues with no effects. if 3 or more clips are able to play all at once, in mult-cam, the raid hdd should be safe to rule out as bottleneck. you can also check in windows resource monitor for disk usage, read (b/sec) while playing your footage with one and two lumetri, to see what kind of demand is being placed on the raid.

it could still be a software bottleneck, maybe with the media or lumetri effect.

do you have other media, different codecs, different fps, 8bit, non-interlaced, etc, to test with and see if they work with two or more lumetri? if they do, there might be something with your footage premiere is having a problem with.

you can also try using multiple gpu effects in premiere, non lumetri effects, and see if you can apply enough to get higher gpu usage without playback issues. that might indicate lumetri isn't working properly.

• 6. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere
                    yasseram Level 1

thank you RoninEdits

I will test all that and will back soon

Q: Can you add 2 or more lumetri effect to a HD clip and play back without any dropped frame ?

if so what is the GPU you have and what is the clip format ?

thanks

• 7. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere

Did you do the whole PPBM test and generate the "Output.csv" file?  The rest of the timing is also helpful and submit that file and the Speccy file will help seeing your complete hardware setup.

We do not have your complete data but here is approximately what you reported above

"???","???","15","800"

I collected a bunch of recent i7-5820K PPBM submissions the first number is the disk intensive number so disregard that number for this discussion.  It would be interesting to know your second number, it is highly CPU and GPU dependent.  But what we need to know is the reason why your last number is around 800 seconds.   Looking at the four results below it appears that your 800 second number is about twice what others are getting.  Also when you divide your ~800/15 you get an MPE gain of 53 which is unusually extraordinarily high.

1. "118","101", "31","408", Premiere Version:, 9.1.0.174   i7-5820K, 4.0GHz,  32GB, GTX 760, SSD, USB SSD,   2015-12-16 04:17:25
                      2. "35","108", "45","429",  Premiere Version:, 9.1.0.174   i7-5820K, 3.8GHz, 32GB, GTX 960, SSD, SM951,         2015-12-11 14:05:07
                      3. "25" ,"90",  "23","371",  Premiere Version:, 9.1.0.174   i7-5820K, 4.4GHz, 64GB, GTX 980, SSD, NVME,          2015-12-10 13:38:15
                      4. "293","193","45","381",  Premiere Version, 9.0.2.6       i7-5820K, 3.6GHz, 16GB, GTX 960, SSD, HD,               2015-12-02 16:32:18
                      • 8. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere
                        yasseram Level 1

you have 16gb of memory, how much is being used before playback, and during playback for with lumetri? and does the dropped frames happen as soon as starting playback, or only after a while once memory is being used?

sequence with only one HD1080 50i uncompresed 10bit clip 15sec system usage 2.9GB of memory, once play system usage 4.2GB of memory gradually and not rise above that at all

if you can make a test project and make a multi-cam sequence with 3 or more of your HD1080 50i uncompresed 10bit clips, and then see if there are playback issues with no effects. if 3 or more clips are able to play all at once, in mult-cam, the raid hdd should be safe to rule out as bottleneck. you can also check in windows resource monitor for disk usage, read (b/sec) while playing your footage with one and two lumetri, to see what kind of demand is being placed on the raid.

with multicam can play 3 uncompressed 1080 50i 10bit without dropped frame HD usage 90%

it could still be a software bottleneck, maybe with the media or lumetri effect.

do you have other media, different codecs, different fps, 8bit, non-interlaced, etc, to test with and see if they work with two or more lumetri? if they do, there might be something with your footage premiere is having a problem with.

with MXF OP1a + same 2 Lumetri effect get dropped frame and 33% usage of GPU

with MP4 + same 2 Lumetri effect + 1 Lumetri effect get smooth play back once add another 1 Lumetri effect get dropped frame and 33% usage of GPU

with RED (4096x2304) + same 2 Lumetri effect get dropped frame but with 60% usage of GPU

with MJPG or uncomresed 8 Bit the same situation

you can also try using multiple gpu effects in premiere, non lumetri effects, and see if you can apply enough to get higher gpu usage without playback issues. that might indicate lumetri isn't working properly.

1 Lumetri + 13 of GPU effects no dropped frame GPU usage rise to 55%

once I disable the 13 of GPU effects and add another Lumetri effect the dropped frame happiness and onl usage 33% of the GPU

I think it's Lumetri bug's or some thing like that

for that I ask again can anyone add 2 or more Lumetri effect to the same clip and get smooth playback without dropped frame

PS: when I change the sequence setting from upper field to progressive I can add 3 Lumetri effect with smooth playback but still use 33% of the GPU

if I add another Lumetri effect I get dropped frame

thanks

• 9. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere
                          yasseram Level 1

thank you Bill Gehrke

this is the Output.cvs results

"102","101","16","795", Premiere Version:, 9.2.0.41

I upload the 2 files to your site

• 10. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere

I got your files and will do some more thinking but nothing jumps out of the data so far except your 16GB of RAM is on the low side..  I am guessing that you are not overclocking the CPU.  And I cannot tell if your CPU normally 3.3GHz with some load jumps to the Turbo 3.6GHz under full load.  Do you have hyperthreading enabled?

• 11. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere

bill, is last number in the ppbm only cpu dependent? its still 2x the other 5820k comparisons you posted earlier...

yasseram, you can check your cpu performance with cinebench, it should score around 1200. you can also check your cpu temps with real temp or coretemp.

• 12. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere

Yes the last number is strictly CPU dependent.  I have been examining the Speccy file which gives us a detailed hardware configuration.but I have no reason yet that I can find for the slow CPU test score.

• 13. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere
                                  yasseram Level 1

I am guessing that you are not overclocking the CPU.  And I cannot tell if your CPU normally 3.3GHz with some load jumps to the Turbo 3.6GHz under full load.  Do you have hyperthreading enabled?

I overclocked my CPU to 3.8

BCLK Frequency    100

Core Ratio Limit          38

Total CPU Core Voltage    1.2V

CPU Core Voltage          1.5

CPU Core Voltage Offset    0.5

My CPU clock jump to 3.8 under full load

hyper-threading enabled in Bios

thanks

• 14. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere
                                    yasseram Level 1

CINEBENCH R15 results

OpenGL    160.35

Ref. Match    99.6%

CPU    1123cb

CPU(Single Core)    141cb

MP Ratio    7.95x

CPU Temp never never go up 60 °C

thanks

• 15. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere
                                      yasseram Level 1

Bill am so sorry,

I found the problem for the wrong number of CPU dependent "800"

I was adjust premiere preference memory optimize rendering for memory

now I adjust it to performance and I retest again the benchmark

and this is the new Output.cvs results

"103","80","17","420", Premiere Version:, 9.2.0.41

but this not solve the main problem of using 2 lumetri effect

and we back to first post

why I get dropped frame if I add 2 lumetri effect to the same clip in this system

thanks

• 16. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere

Thank you very much for solving that CPU usage problem.  As memory usage was that problem and you only have 16Gb of RAM, check your memory usage all three ways, no Lumetri effect, one lumetri effect, and two lumetri effects.  It probably is that each instance of the application of the effect requires another set of memory and you have run out of available memory.

• 17. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere
                                          yasseram Level 1

Bill

memory usage in the three situation the same, memory not rise any byte

thanks

• 18. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere
                                            JFPhoton Level 3

....are your settings correct in premiere under "preferences" for assigning the amount of system memory dedicated to Premiere and how much will be left for "other programs" ?   Because you have only 16GB, you are not even able to meet the MINIMUM recommendation of 3GB per " core", with some memory left over for the "other programs"   You have a six core CPU.......that means you should have at least 18GB of system RAM assigned for PPro and at least 6GB left for "other programs", making a total minimum of 24 GB of system memory needed.  You should increase the amount of RAM in your machine to at least 32 GB........then you can have 4GB per "core" and 8 GB left over for "other programs"

• 19. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere
                                              yasseram Level 1

thanks JFPhoton

can you guide me where is the recommendation of 3G for each core assigned for PPro from adobe site because this is new for me

and did you grantee if I upgrade my memory to 32G the problem will solved ?

may be this is true for any compressed media but with my projects I add 200+ uncompressed clips to my timeline and edit it and never memory usage rise than 7GB of system memory

• 20. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere
                                                yasseram Level 1

Hi Bill

any notes about my issue

• 21. Re: Confused about GTX 980Ti and premiere
                                                  yasseram Level 1

Hello

I found the correct answer of my issue about adding 2 Lumetri

"The design of the Lumetri panel is specifically to be a simple, easy interface that's used from top to bottom of the tabs, and in one instance per clip. From what's been said on the official blog for PrPro & what they've said at events like the huge NAB show in Vegas, I don't think they're planning to go further with that. So "doesn't work" is not really applicable, it isn't designed nor intended for the way you want it to work."

Re: Lumetri: Two and more Lumetri effects on a clip

read all the thread to understand the Lumetri effect and knowing the limitation in deal with

Thanks to everyone who tried to help